Interviews - 7

"Indiana Gaffney, the mighty Du-- I mean, team USA, has just won a commanding victory against Trinidad Tobago. You had a big night tonight on the scoresheet, racking up a goal and three assists for a four-point night. How are you feeling?" Averman held the top of his hockey stick to his mouth, pretending to use it as a microphone.

Averman slid the makeshift hockey stick microphone over to Indiana, "Well, Averman, tonight was a very nice victory involving many different goal scorers. I feel really confident that this group could go all the way."

Averman continued, "How has the transition to the top line worked out for you?"

Indiana answered, "Well, I think we have incredible chemistry together and I'm looking forward to seeing what we can do together in the future."

"Alright, thank you very much for your time, Gaffney." Averman laughed as Indiana pretended to tip her cap at the boy. Indiana's eyes caught Jesse's, who had overheard Averman's fake reporter gag and was clearly not happy with it. Jesse glared at Indiana while she simply just shook her head at the boy. Regardless of if she had stolen his spot on the top line or not, the boy had been disrespectful to her since she stepped on the ice. 

After the game against Trinidad, the group had to go outside to an area where they would be asked questions during a post-game interview. Nobody would say it out loud, but each member was a little nervous about speaking to an audience of reporters. The group stood behind Bombay at a podium fitted with a microphone. Almost immediately, cameras began flashing as pictures were taken, assumingly for the next edition of a paper.

Mr. Tibbles introduced the group, "Ladies and gentlemen, Team USA hockey and the man chosen to lead them to the gold, Gordon Bombay." Along with team USA, Tibbles introduced the Hendrix bear, a large mascot who joined them on the stage. The group took pictures with the bear and waved with him after some confusion. "Okay we're going to open it up to questions. Yes." Mr. Tibbles pointed to a blonde woman who stood up.

"Team USA, how does it feel competing on the international level here in Los Angeles?" the woman asked.

Bombay began to speak, but the team spoke over him with choruses of 'feels good' and 'love it.' The crowd of reporters laughed at the child-like response from the team. Truth be told, it felt amazing. It was a dream come true for Indiana, who had never been able to picture herself representing her own country wearing a USA logo and the nation's colors. But here she was, after a dominating win, standing next to her sister and her new team.

A man stood up from the crowd, "This one is for the ladies of team USA. How does it feel being three of the only girls in the entire competition?"

Indiana spoke first, "Personally, I haven't really noticed any differences. It's nice to think that it could motivate more girls to get involved in hockey. It's a great sport and we each love playing with each other regardless of our gender."

Julie spoke next, "Yeah, I think it speaks to the inclusivity of team USA as well."

Connie gave the final word, "As a Duck I was one of the only girls there, so it has been wonderful to have the twins with us on the team. Hockey is truly for everyone." The interviewer thanked the girls before sitting down.

Another interviewer spoke up, "Going off of the idea of being the only three girls on the team, does it impact the team negatively if feelings are caught within the team?"

Indiana scoffed lightly, "We are here to play hockey; all personal business is just that-- personal."

Connie continued, "Also, if there is a relationship, both partners would understand beforehand that the team comes first no matter what." The interviewer scribbled notes on his clipboard, thanking the girls for answering his question.

"Coach Bombay, the Vikings from Iceland are the heavy favorites. Their coach has already guaranteed victory. How are you going to handle them?" asked a woman. Indiana had been hearing rumors about team Iceland. They had all heard about Iceland's physicality, skill, and overall brutality on the ice.

"Hard work. I think our team is ready to go up against the best in the world. We're not worried about 'em. Iceland may be tough, but, uh, we're team USA and we're goin' all the way," stated Bombay, the kids cheering behind him. Bombay thanked the reporters, sending them a wave and a smile. Bombay began to move towards the edge of the stage towards the stairs.

"Team USA's going down. That's where they're going," a man with a heavy accent pointed out. Team USA had stopped in their tracks, turning their attention to the man who had spoken. He was tall and broad with insanely oily slicked back hair. "See you on the ice, Bombay!" The man smirked at the group, his team walking up behind him in support.

Tibbles began, "Thats, uh, Stansson. Coach of the Iceland team. He's wound a little tight."

Bombay looked at Tibbles in disbelief, "Stansson from the NHL? Wolf "the dentist" Stansson is coaching? You didn't tell me that." The two of them walked off of the stage.

"That guy's a dentist?" asked Kenny.

"That was his nickname," explained Charlie. "Played one year of pro's, collected more teeth than goals. He even punched out his own coach"

Julie chimed in, "I heard they ran him out of the league and the country." Team USA watched as Stansson argued with one of the tournament organizers about American freedom of speech.

"Why'd they let him back in?" Adam asked.

"Clearly it wasn't because he had good merit," expressed Indiana.

"That's his team?" Kenny asked as the group began to walk away. "Those guys are huge!"

Indiana laughed, "Better get ready to do some spinning, Wu."