Cheapshot - 19

"Powered by a one goal victory over Russia, team USA hockey advances to the finals of the Junior Goodwill games, where they'll go up against the top-seeded team from Iceland."

"Coach, shouldn't we have our hockey gear on?" asked Luis, Averman instantly agreed. The team had gathered at the rink for practice, completely expecting Bombay to be acting crazy again after hearing the news of them facing Iceland in the finals.

"Guys, this is our last team practice, which means--" Bombay began.

"The return of Captain Blood," joked Averman.

Bombay laughed, "No. It means, let's have some fun!" Bombay pulled out an inflated beach ball, throwing it onto the ice. The team skated around the ice, playing keepaway with the beach ball. Indiana noticed Connie and Guy sitting around in the corner, having what seemed to be a deep conversation. Indiana winked at Connie, who rolled her eyes back.

"So, our last practice as linemates, huh?" Adam skated up behind Indiana.

Indiana sighed, "I guess so. After tomorrow we all go our separate ways. It's kinda sad, really."

Adam looked down at her, "Well I think that you and Julie should think about heading to Minnesota for a few trips."

Indiana pretended to ponder her thoughts, "Yeah, there might be some people I want to see in Minnesota?"

"Oh yeah? Like who?" Adam asked, smirking.

"Only my favorite duck," Adam smiled at her "Charlie Conway!" Charlie looked over after hearing his name, cocking his head. Indiana waved innocently at the boy while Adam shook his head, "I should have known." With that, Adam began to chase Indiana around the ice, narrowly avoiding hitting into their teammates.

Adam inched closer to Indiana, holding his left arm out and grabbing her at the waist. Not wanting to be the reason he hurt his right wrist more, Indiana stopped and allowed him to catch her, "Gotcha."

Indiana smiled, remembering what the boy once said before the night that the two of them skipped the beach trip to practice, "Maybe I wanted you to catch me." The two locked eyes, feeling as if they were a part of their own little world.

"Indie-- I" Adam began.

"Playtime is over," a distinct voice spoke from the opposite end of the ice. "We have the ice now. You and your little rink rats must leave."

"We're right here, Coach," reminded Portman. Indiana and Adam skated over to the group, Adam choosing to stand in front of Indiana protectively.

"The only thing little was your career in the pros," taunted Bombay, causing team USA to laugh.

"At least I had a shot," Stansson began. "I was there."

Bombay smirked, shaking his head, "You were a disgrace." Bombay rolled his eyes, looking back at his team. "Alright team, we're outta here."

"Can you still move on the ice?" Stansson asked. "Well, please. Play a little with me. Show me the famous triple deke your daddy taught you." The man turned his attention to Jan, "Or was it that old geezer over there?" Marria handed Stansson a stick on command, who threw it to Bombay.

Bombay inspected the stick, "Three bar. First one to hit both posts and the crossbar, have to take it out past the blue line."

"I know the game," Stansson smirked. Indiana wasn't quite sure that this was a great idea-- her coach, who had recently experienced a serious knee injury, against one of the toughest enforcers. Bombay didn't share the sentiment, however, agreeing to the competition and allowing it to begin. Bombay started on defense, being pushed by Stansson at the blue line before being elbowed down behind the net. Stansson skated around, hitting the right post as his team celebrated. Bombay began on offense this time, skating right down on Stansson and hitting the left post, causing team USA to be the ones cheering this time. Bombay fought for the puck again, hitting the right post.

Bombay got the puck again, knocking Stansson to the ground. "One more post and you go home crying. By the way, Stansson, you owe me a beach ball." Stansson stood up angrily, racing behind Bombay. Stansson wound up his stick, hitting Bombay in the back of his knee that had been injured during his stint in the minors. Bombay fell to the ground, wincing in pain. Team USA rushed over to him, some taking a knee around him.

"Get your coach off the ice. We have to practice now," said Stansson. The two teams stared at each other before team USA helped Bombay off the ice.

"I can't believe he just did that!" Yelled Charlie, hitting his hands against his locker.

"God, we are going to kick their asses on the ice," expressed Indiana, the whole team coming together to finally agree on something.

"Live from Arrowhead Pond in Anaheim, California, it's team USA versus Iceland in the hockey finals of the Junior Goodwill Games. Hi, everybody. This is Bob Miller along with Jacques Berman. Nice to have you with us for what should be an exciting title game tonight."

"Indie," Adam stalled the girl who had been walking into the room. "Guess what?" Indiana

cocked her head, curious to see what he had to tell her. "The pain is gone," he continued, "I can play!"

Indiana felt tears brim her eyes, excitement showing on her face, "Oh my god Adam that's great," Indiana jumped towards him, engulfing him in a hug. The boy chuckled at her reaction, resting his chin on the top of her head. Indiana pulled away, "we have to tell coach! I need my linemate back!" With that, Adam watched Indiana as she skipped into the locker room, Adam not far behind.

"Hey coach," began Adam. Everyone in the room looked at him as he dropped his equipment, picking up a stick. "I woke up, and the pain was gone." Adam turned the stick from horizontal to vertical, just as coach had asked him to do a few days prior. Team USA began to cheer, excited to get their teammate back.

"Adam, I'm sorry. We already have a full roster," explained Bombay. Russ sighed, tugging at the

front of his jersey.

Charlie was quick to stop him, "He can have my spot." Charlie walked up to Bombay and Adam, "It's what I can do for the team. Let me do it." Adam placed his hand on Charlie's shoulder, thanking him.

"Charlie, I need you on the bench, coaching right there with me," said Bombay, handing him a whiteboard. Perhaps it was at this moment that everyone truly understood the versatility of Charlie Conway-- a great hockey player, a great friend, and a great leader. Goldberg let the team onto the ice, everyone taking in the amount of people who had shown up for the game. Thousands of people took their seats at the rink, cheering as team USA skated around. Most of these spectators stood to their feet, covered in USA's colors.

"Now the two teams gather at their respective benches. In their last meeting, Iceland crushed team USA, twelve-one."

Bombay began to chant, "Heads high, stand tall, fly straight. USA--"

"All the way," cheered the team, raising their hands up together.