The Future - 22

Indiana couldn't believe it, even minutes after the ice had been cleared of people-- she was an international champion.

The Ducks went back into the locker room, cheering and hugging each other.

"Before you all get undressed, I have someone special who'd like to talk to you," said Bombay.

"You can't top Gretzky, Bombay," joked Indiana.

"I'm not quite Gretzky, but I can offer you guys something pretty significant. My name is Dean Buckley, and I'm the headmaster of Eden Hall Academy. I'm here on official business to offer you all full academic scholarships to Eden Hall Academy in the Fall. What do you say?" Indiana and Julie smiled at each other-- they had done it. It was a dream that both of them wanted to accomplish, playing for a distinguished high school program. And now-- they might be able to do it with their best friends. "You don't have to have official answers for me now, of course. You will all be receiving an official offer in the mail soon. Please consider joining us, we would love to have you."

"Maybe you're not getting rid of me so fast after all?" Asked Banks.

"Truly unfortunate. I guess I'll just have to annoy you for the next four years of our lives," said Indiana.

"So, you're going?" Adam asked, somewhat surprised.

"Hell yeah, I'm going!" Said Indiana. "I mean I obviously have to ask my parents and figure out the details, but I want to go for sure."

"Thank god, what would I do without my favorite linemate?" From behind, Charlie raised his arms in disagreement. "Sorry, Charlie."

After the game, everyone got together for one final night together. They all sat at the bonfire, Dwayne strumming on his guitar. Indiana yawned, laying her head on Banks' shoulder. Banks took this as an invitation, wrapping his arm around her back and pulling her closer.

"I've paid my dues, time after time," Averman began singing, causing everyone to chuckle at the boy who kept going. "I've done my sentence but committed no crime."

"And bad mistakes, I've made a few. I've had my share of sand kicked in my face, but I've come through," the Ducks sang together. Everyone stood up, wrapping their arms around the shoulders of the person next to them. "And we go on and on and on and on, we are the champions, my friends! And we'll keep on fighting, till the end. We are the champions, we are the champions, no time for losers. Cause we are the champions of the world!" The group continued to sway, singing the rest of the song together. It was a semi-sweet night, as it would be a while until the newcomers would be joining the old Ducks again, presumably at Eden Hall. But then again, they were just happy to be sitting with each other in this moment, carefree, with people around them who loved and cared for them.

The next day was the saddest. Each Duck would be going home today, most of them traveling back to Minnesota. The Minnesota Ducks took turns walking each newcomer to their gate, finally stopping at Julie's and Indiana's.

"Hey, Indiana," said Banks, causing Indiana to turn around. Adam ran over to the girl, digging into his pocket. Indiana looked up at him, confused. Adam pulled out a ripped out folded piece of notebook paper. "It's my number. Feel free to call me, I mean-- if you want to."

Indiana smiled, tucking the number into her pocket for safe keeping, "Maybe I will, Banksie. I guess I'll see you in a few months?"

Goldberg and the rest of the ducks watched the two interact together, chanting for them to kiss. Adam turned towards them, glaring at them. The team quickly spun around, acting as if they hadn't just been causing havoc.

"Indiana?" Adam asked, grabbing her attention again. The boy caught Indiana off guard, placing a quick kiss on the girl's lips, leaving her mouth open in shock. "I'll see you in a few months, Indie."

Indiana smiled back at the boy, somewhat still in disbelief of what had just happened, "I'll see you soon, Adam." With that, the last of the newcomers and the old Ducks separated, Charlie and Goldberg patting Banks on the back and cheering for him. Next step: Eden Hall Academy.

Indiana replayed the moments between her and Adam, from their first moments alone onto their first kiss. Despite it being short, Indiana's heart still jumped at the fact that he actually made a move on her. Her heart jumped at the idea of him, but sunk knowing that she would have to wait until the beginning of the school year to see him again.

Julie looked at her sister, a wide smirk playing on her lips. "So, you and Adam, huh?"

Indiana touched her lips, smiling. "Yeah, me and Adam."

A/N : I hope you all enjoyed this book! Indiana and the Ducks will return shortly in a sequel that is currently in progress. Thank you for the support! Shameless plug: JJ Maybank book coming out very soon :)

Updated authors note: The sequel is finished!! The title is Eden Hall Ducks - Adam Banks. ENJOY :)