Germany - 16

The bus ride back to the hotel was pretty rowdy, everyone talking about how much fun they had just had. Indiana had to agree, playing without consequences was fun, she just wished that team USA could always have fun like this. But if Bombay was going to continue treating the team as badly as they had, then she knew that having fun wouldn't be an option for them. Indiana sat in the aisle seat next to Connie, who had been talking to her about Guy.

"He's just so kind, you know? And I know he has always had a thing for me, and I have a thing for him too, but the timing never seems to work out," Connie stated. Connie went on to explain how they had almost kissed before they were interrupted by the Ducks earlier in the month to tell them that they had been chosen to represent team USA.

"Well, if it was going to happen then, why can't it still happen?" Indiana asked the girl who shrugged in response.

"I don't know, I guess maybe because we have been surrounded by so many people and the guys are always around," explained Connie.

"So, we get them to leave him alone. It can't be too hard," said Indiana. "You guys should sneak out!"

Connie gasped, "and risk not being able to play in the game the next day?"

Indiana laughed, "oh c'mon you know they don't really enforce it. Plus, it could be fun, you guys could go down to the beach, grab some food. Ooh-- grab some ice cream."

Connie shrugged back, allowing for Indiana to continue. "Just ask him Connie. He's not going to say no."

"I'll ask him after team dinner tonight, if I get a moment alone with him," sighed Connie.

"I'd say I could help you, but Guy lives with Jesse; that boy does not like me," explained Indiana.

Connie rolled her eyes, "He's just mad that you stole his linemates. Don't take it personally, Jesse has never been kind to newcomers. He just recently stopped giving Adam a hard time."

Indiana chucked, "Really? Jesse didn't like Adam?"

Connie continued, "The Hawks were pretty rude to the Ducks. Adam didn't really do anything to us himself, but his supposed 'best friends' did. Jesse doesn't trust anyone too easily."

"I'm not going to lie to you, Con, but getting on Jesse's good side definitely isn't a priority of mine," laughed Indiana. Connie nodded in response.

"That's fair, it's not like you guys have to play together for too long. Plus, I know a certain someone who's good side you'd rather be on," joked Connie, earning herself a soft slap on the shoulder by Indiana.

"Oh shut up, me and Banks are just friends," explained Indiana, looking over the boy who seemed to be having a deep conversation with Charlie.

Connie scoffed, "who said anything about Banks? I sure didn't."

"Oh, look at that," began Indiana, watching as the bus pulled near their hotel. "We are back at the hotel, gotta go!"

"Saved by the bus," murmured Connie. The girls walked back to their rooms, getting dressed and prepared for their game in a few hours. When it was time, the team walked over to the rink together and began to put on their hockey gear.

About five minutes before game time, Indiana looked around the locker room, "Shouldn't coach be coming in by now?" The room went quiet, everyone noticing the notable absence of their coach.

"Maybe he's just running late," remarked Goldberg.

"Hopefully," whispered Indiana. The team stepped out onto the ice, not seeing Bombay on the bench.

"What the hell do we do?" asked Adam, looking at Indiana who shrugged.

"We warm up," instructed Charlie, motioning for the team to skate laps around their side of the ice. After warming up the goalies, coach Bombay still hadn't arrived.

The referee came over after warm-ups, "Team USA. I'm sorry but without a coach beyond the bench, you'll forfeit the game."

Charlie scanned the crowd, "We have one!" Charlie called over Miss MacKay, who was walking by. Charlie asked her to pretend to be our coach, and after a moment of persuasion, she accepted. "Here she is, our coach; Coach MacKay."

Miss MacKay looked around, like a deer in headlights, "What are you waitin' for, the ice to freeze? Let's play!" She said, the group cheering. The ref shrugged before skating off, not questioning her abilities.

The first period began with Germany throwing their weight around, pushing team USA off of the puck. "We look tired, we need to-- uh, trade places!" Said Miss MacKay.

"What?" Charlie asked, looking at Averman.

"New players," Miss MacKay clarified.

"Say, 'Change it up,'" Indiana instructed her tutor, who repeated the girl's words. The players substituted in for each other quickly. "Cool," Miss MacKay remarked. It was two to two now, with Adam and Indiana having USA's goals.

Late in the period, a duck whistle could be heard coming from the stands. Bombay walked down the stairs, coming towards the bench doors. "Look who finally shows up," remarked Fulton.

"No way guys, just ignore him," said Jesse. "C'mon Averman, take the face-off." Bombay opened the bench door, blaring the duck whistle. Indiana turned to Adam on the bench, the two shrugging to each other.

"C'mon, what do we got to lose?" Asked Guy.

"Respect. He'll dump us the minute it's all over," explained Fulton.

Bombay called the team in, those on the ice regretfully skating towards their coach. "I was wrong, and I'm sorry. I forgot about the team and the team is all I have. All I want is another chance. Just one more shot-- I'm back, okay? Believe me."

"You owe someone more than a general apology, Coach," Adam spoke out, motioning to Indiana. The team agreed, all backing her up-- even Jesse.

Bombay sighed, "I should have never treated you the way I did. I overworked you. You, Charlie and Adam were more mature that night than I ever was. I'm sorry."

Indiana nodded, "It's alright, coach." The referee skated over, breaking up their mid-game talk. Jesse's line skated back out to their positions at center ice. Jesse won the puck at center ice, moving behind Goldberg's net and calling for the flying V.

"I've heard of this before, but I've never seen it. It's the flying 'V' led by Jesse Hall. Hall up to center ice, Hall with it towards the Germany Blue line. Hall-- Shot by Averman, he scores!" And with that goal, team USA downed Germany 3-2.