7 - The Realization

I couldn't sleep at all

I couldn't sleep at all. I kept overthinking about what had happened with Han the other day, which I guess was the reason as to why I stayed awake. And maybe because of that, I ended up with a cold. 

I know, I'm pathetic - I get it. But maybe it was just too much for my body to handle. I mean, this is the first time anyone actually took an interest in me. 

Ugh, who am I kidding? He probably has some ulterior motive to befriending me. Yeah, that must be it. No need to think that he actually likes me or something, haha. 

At that moment, my mom burst into my room. 

I can't believe I almost forgot... maybe cuz' its been so long since the last time I was sick. Whenever I became ill, by mom would always treat me like the biggest baby - she's endearing like that. 

"Lee Minho, what are we going to do with you!" She shouted, however, it seemed less intimidating due to her high-pitched tone. 

"Mom, I'm alright. You can go to work. I'm sixteen, don't worry! I can take care of myself," I say as I caress her cheek.

"As much as I hate to leave you here all alone at home, especially since you're sick, you're right. With your dad always out of the house, I'm the only source of income. I'm so sorry my dear, I can't even take care of you even when you need me the most," she says at tears start to form in her eyes. 

"I always told you that I could take a job as well but you didn't want to burden me with it. Oh, mother, you're going to make me cry too..."

My mom was the only one who ever took care of me. Although my dad and mom were still married legally, he was always out of the picture. Hell, I can barely even remember what he looks like.

Due to his absence, its always just been me and my mom most of the time. She was my soft spot, the only person I could truly be myself with. She understood me like no one else could. 

I was crying in her arms when the sudden realization hit me. 

"What's wrong, honey?" she states as I slowly start to back away from her. 

"Oh no, your face is suddenly so red and hot! We have to take you to the doctors right away!" While saying so, she quickly jumps up to get ready. But I grab her and bring her before me.

"I'll be fine, trust your son for once, alright? I won't go to school today, I promise," I say as I bring my mom into an embrace. 

"Seriously, what would I do without you, my child. Okay, I will prepare you the most expensive dish I can find on my way home! My beautiful son deserves it!" 

If it was any other day, I would've refused, regardless, I'll let it slide just this once. 

I love my mom, and seeing her this happy over just making me a proper meal? It warmed my heart like nothing else could.