Trying to Catch My Breath

One chilly evening a couple of months into the task force assignment after a long mission, Steve and Emma head back to her place to watch movies. Before she could choose a movie out of her collection though, she notices that The Wizard of Oz is playing on the movie channel so she decides to leave it. "I didn't know the TV played movies this old, I watched this when it first came out," Steve comments as he sits on the couch.

"Oh, are you calling yourself old now?" Emma teases.

"Touche," he replies with a smile.

Emma checks her phone and sees a text from Maria. After reading it, she says aloud, "Maria is gonna swing by somewhere and get pizza for all of us, what kind do you want?"

"Cheese is good," Steve replies absentmindedly while staring at the screen.

"Whenever we end up back in New York, remind me to take you to my favorite hole-in-the-wall pizza place. Their food is phenomenal," Emma tells Steve. When she doesn't get a response, she looks up to see him watching the movie looking a bit down. Seeing the sudden change in demeanor, Emma asks, "Hey, is everything okay?"

Steve is finally knocked out of his daze and replies, "Yeah, yeah. Just...missing the past a bit is all." He pauses and sighs, "When I was flying that plane down into the Arctic, I thought it would be the end, but I still made plans with Peg. For those few seconds, I thought everything would end up okay."

Emma feels her heart sink but elects to ignore the feeling in her chest and replies, "I'm so sorry, Steve. I'm glad you did try and feel less scared in those moments though. Optimism pushes people through a lot of tough situations." She pauses for a beat before adding, "You know, you haven't told me much about this Peggy girl. She seems to have a big place in your heart, but you never talk in detail about her. What was she like?"

Steve smiles and replies, "Oh she was one of the bravest women I knew back then. Tough as nails. Gutsy too." He pauses and laughs, adding, "When I got my shield, she shot straight at it before any other testing was done. If that thing didn't hold up, I'm not sure I'd be here right now."

"She sounds like a firecracker. What was her rank?"

Steve thinks for a second before replying honestly, "All I ever really heard anyone call her was Agent Carter."

Emma nearly chokes on the sip of water she had in her mouth when she hears the name. She regains her composure before asking, "Did you say, Agent Carter? As in Agent Peggy Carter? Founder of SHIELD?"

"Wait Peg founded SHIELD?"

"Yes, she founded SHIELD!" Emma replies. "Have you never paid attention to the pictures on the walls at HQ?"

"I guess not?" Steve asks with a chuckle. He smiles and breathes, "Wow, she went on to do such great things after everything went down."

"That she did," Emma replies.

Steve thinks for a second and then asks, "Well, how did you not know it was her I talked about all this time?"

"There's only so much you can read in a museum, Steven," Emma laughs. She thinks for a moment before informing him, "I'm pretty sure she's still around and it sounds like you could use some closure with her. I couldn't give you many details but I'm sure Maria could."

"Maria could do what?" comes Maria's voice as she enters the apartment carrying pizza and a case of drinks for the three of them.

Emma clutches her chest at the sudden appearance of her friend and she says with a laugh, "Maria, I know I always give you a spare key to my place, but at least knock next time!"