Two Hearts, Just You and Me

A few more weeks pass and it's finally the big day. Emma is a nervous wreck, pacing around her old bedroom while Maria and Natasha are in the small bathroom getting themselves ready before helping Emma get ready for the ceremony.

"Em, what's up? You are way too stressed right now," Maria says as she emerges into the bedroom all dolled up.

Emma stops her pacing and sighs, telling her, "It's just that Wanda still hasn't answered any of my calls, texts, or anything in the last few weeks about the wedding. I got more of a response from Groot than I have her and it's worrying me... And then there's the whole thing about you and Fury having to go off-world soon... Then you know there's kinda the whole thing where I'm getting married to the love of my life today, that's a thing that's happening..."

"Emma!" Maria laughs, putting her hands on her friend's shoulders to stop her rambling. "First of all, I'm sure Wanda is fine, she's just dealing with her grief and if that means spending time by herself for a while that's how it is, you can't change it. I dealt with the same feeling when you went missing, but trust me it'll be okay. Just breathe."

"Okay. Right. She's just dealing with things. I had five years to deal with my feelings, she just needs time," Emma says as she breathes in and out with Maria.

"And about the whole going off-world thing, I am really sorry to drop that on you on such short notice, but when duty calls you know the drill."

"Totally. I'm just glad you're both here for the wedding."

"See, there's that optimism," Maria smiles.

"Just like Steve," Nat says as she makes her way out of the bathroom.

Maria lets out a low whistle and Emma says, "Well I'll be damned, I think you're gonna outdress me."

"Nonsense," Nat tells her with a small smile. "It's your day, you're the star."

"Thanks," Emma says as she blows a breath out, still trying to calm her nerves.

Maria looks at her phone for the time and says, "It's getting close, are you ready to get dressed?"

"Ready as I'll ever be," Emma nods with a smile. Once Emma has her makeup and hair done and is in the dress she and Nat picked out, Maria carefully dabs some tears from the corners of her eyes at the sight of her friend. "Oh Maria, don't do that, you'll make me cry too," Emma tells her as she gives her a hug.

"Sorry, I'm just happy for you. To think that when I met you, you had sworn off love after your last breakup and now you're here getting married!"

"I'm just really happy I gave it another chance," Emma says. She wanders over to her dresser and grabs something before asking, "Hey, can you put this necklace on me?"

"Sure," Maria replies as she takes the necklace from Emma. She studies it for a second before asking, "Wasn't this Grammie's?"

Emma nods with a small smile, wishing she was still here. She takes a breath and lets it out before saying, "Even though she can't be here I'm happy I have the necklace."

"How'd you get it?" Maria asks as she fastens it around Emma's neck.

"Well you see, I was the guinea pig with the time machine that was used to bring your ass back," Emma tells her with a wiggle of her eyebrows.

"Oh well excuse me Miss Time Travel," Maria laughs. "So how did that work? Getting the necklace and all?"

"Well I went back to...to that day and I was with her until her last breath. It's what I wanted, so when I got the opportunity to see her again, I jumped at the chance... I just wish she could be here now."