Transitionary Period

(A/N gasp what's this? An early upload? Again my apologies for the late upload last week, so I am uploading early this week because I anticipate a very busy weekend. I have two study guides that I need to get a move on with and I also am attending a benefit for my sister who has cancer and working all weekend so I will not be online too much. Anyway! I am very excited to finally have the story start getting to where it is currently, it was one of my favorite parts to write! Things are about to get emotional so hold on to your hats folks!)

Within the next week, Emma gets settled into a hotel for a few days while the tenant living in her Brooklyn apartment gets packed up. After the artist packs up her stuff, Emma finally gets to be back in her loft. Maria helps her move in and they have a little housewarming party at the apartment once everything is all put together and liveable for her once more.

Getting used to the old space again takes a few weeks filled with calls to Sam when her anxiety spikes from being alone in the apartment and video chats with Steve between jobs at Stark Industries. With work keeping her so busy, Emma doesn't realize that it has already been a couple of months back in New York until she is rushing through the halls of the Avengers Tower with some paperwork on a HYDRA lead she found. While she rounds the corner to get the papers to Maria, she runs smack into someone turning the same corner.

"I'm so so sorry, I was not paying attention, I'm such a clutz," Emma panics while picking up her papers off the ground. She scrambles to hide anything that could leak their lead in case the person she ran into was another hero fan that was taking a tour of the tower or worse a HYDRA agent that snuck their way into the building.

"It's nice to see you, Em," comes the voice of Steve Rogers as he crouches down to help Emma pick up her papers.

Emma turns her head slightly up and makes eye contact with Steve's blue eyes after hearing his voice. Her heart skips a beat when she sees his eyes, she forgot how much she missed them. "Hey!" Emma smiles while picking up the last of the papers. "What happened to that movie marathon you promised when you got up here?"

"I just got here actually," Steve replies, handing over the papers he collected off the ground for her. "Stark has me set up in my own area of the tower. He said he wanted a quick response time if anything were to happen so he's moving all of the Avengers in here."

"Oh that's cool of him," Emma replies as she shuffles the papers back together in order. "I might just have one of your first missions here then. Stark has some of his people training me on tracking and tracing people, and I came across a potential lead."

"Let's walk and talk then," Steve replies. "I'm sure Stark doesn't want to be kept waiting."

"That I don't," Tony says as he walks up to the pair. "I don't need leads going cold, Spangles."

"Sorry, it was my bad," Emma interrupts, seeing Steve tense up at Tony's attitude. "I was double checking my work and didn't see Steve as I turned the corner."

"Well if that's the case, then it was a simple mistake. Thank you for your honesty, Baker." Tony smirks at his own comment before adding, "But really, get this up to Hill ASAP so we can get some more eyes on it."

"On it," Emma nods and walks off with Steve on her heels.

"So how are you liking the new job?" Steve asks.

"I like it," Emma replies with a smile. "I get to keep busy. Stark got me set up with a new surveillance drone that he built and I get to do a lot of stuff I never would have gotten to at SHIELD. I'm back in my old apartment, so that's really nice. Being back in the city, I've started working on my blog more again. All in all, things have been looking up for the most part."