Never Break the Chain

Whoops, it's been a hot minute since I uploaded, school is crazy that's all I have to say. I graduate in t-minus 18 days, then it's off to New York to visit Grammie! We will hopefully take a trip around the city to see significant Marvel sites so I am pumped for that! Anyway... here's another chapter! I will probably upload two to make up for not uploading in almost a month.

Meanwhile, in an area massively destroyed by the blasts, Emma lies on a piece of large rubble, unconscious. As she slowly starts coming to, she notices that her drone has a forcefield around her protecting her from any falling debris from the attack.

Emma's hearing is the next sense to be restored and she's instantly bombarded with noise from the sound of busted pipes to the others nearby yelling at each other for help, and from SAM saying, "I apologize for not being able to fully protect you from the fall boss, it was all so sudden even I didn't see it coming. Vitals are returning to normal, but you have taken a massive hit to the head. I wouldn't recommend too much movement for a few minutes."

"I gotta get out of here though," Emma mutters as she looks around and sees things still collapsing around her. She tries to call out for someone but is met with a blinding pain so what comes out is just a cry of pain.

"Emma! Where are you?" Rhodey's voice calls out from a few yards away.

"Over here," Emma calls back as loud as she can manage. She manages the strength to slowly sit up and calls out, "Rhodes!"

"She's over here!" Rocket shouts as he scurries over to her.

Rhodey joins Rocket at Emma's location and he starts performing a basic field health check to make sure Emma isn't too seriously injured. After he determines that she is okay enough to move, he asks, "Didn't Steve tell you to go put on a suit?"

"I was preoccupied," Emma mumbles as he helps her stand up. 

"Here, I've got you," Bruce tells her as he hobbles his way into the area, offering her his good arm to help her up.

"Thanks," she replies as she uses the aid he provides. Just as she gets on her feet though, they're swept out from under her as more pipes burst and water floods the area.

Rhodey grabs her hand to make sure she doesn't get pulled away. "I got you," he tells her as the flooding takes over the area. He then grabs onto Bruce to begin forming a chain.

Instinctively, Emma reaches out and grabs Rocket to make sure they all stay together, telling Rhodey, "And I've got Rocket." Before the flooding surrounds them too badly, Emma shouts, "SAM, get the drone on my back right now!" The drone swiftly engages in pack mode and fastens itself on her back before it's swept away in the water.

Rhodey then shouts desperately into his coms, "We're drowning here! Can anyone copy? We're under the building and water is building fast!"

Rocket turns to Emma and asks, "Is there anything that drone of yours can help us out with right now?"

"I... I don't know," Emma replies, panicking as the water builds around them faster and faster. She can't think clearly as her mind starts moving a mile a minute trying to think of ways to get out of there.

She starts to shake badly as a sense of doom creeps into her mind and Rhodey takes notice. "Are you okay Baker?"

Bruce shoots Rhodey a look and shouts, "She's clearly having a panic attack, of course, she isn't okay!"

The water builds faster, getting up to their waists within seconds and Emma starts to panic more, saying, "I can't... I can't swim. This is actually the worst situation we could be in right now... I don't wanna die, I don't wanna die, I don't wanna die..."