You Got a Friend In Me

One night Emma is sitting alone in the common area watching reruns of Friends when Wanda wanders into the room. Wanda can tell that Emma still needs time before she could forgive her completely, but she wanted to form a connection with her, after all, the only women on the team were the two of them and Natasha.

Wanda takes a seat in a chair opposite Emma's and says, "I don't think I've seen this one before."

Emma asks, "This episode or the show?"

"The show," Wanda replies. "My family used to watch sitcoms together to learn English, but they were usually older ones."

Emma nods and after a little bit of silence between the two of them watching the show, she says, "This was one of my favorites when I was a teen."

Wanda smiles and tells her, "You have good taste." Emma finally turns to look at Wanda and returns the smile. When she looks into Wanda's eyes she sees happiness, purity, and an eagerness to want to make friends. At that moment, a chunk of the wall she had built up between herself and Wanda falls off.

A few days later Emma volunteers to cook dinner for everyone as an ice breaker for her first meal with the team. While cooking, Emma turns on some music and quietly sings and dances. From behind her, Steve enters the area to get a drink. He sees her dancing and smiles, "You sure like to dance when you cook don't you?"

Emma lets out a noise of surprise at the sudden voice behind her and she jumps, almost hitting her head on an open cabinet door. "Gosh, you scared me," she exclaims with a laugh.

The commotion causes Wanda to enter the room too, her hands aglow with red wisps, thinking there was an intruder. "Oh it's just Steve," she says after taking in the scene. The red disappears from her hands as she relaxes. The little gesture warms Emma's heart and yet another bit of the wall that was built up falls. As Steve grabs his drink, Wanda turns to Emma and asks, "Would you like any help?"

"Oh I can get it, I don't want to ruin the fun out there," Emma tells her with a smile.

"I insist if you'll take my help," Wanda tells her, hoping to have a talk with Emma. She wants to apologize for what she showed her back in South Africa.

"Okay, deal. I could use an extra hand, I've never cooked for this many people before if I'm honest." Emma pauses and looks at Steve, asking, "Wanna help, Cap?"

Steve puts his hands in the air and laughs, "If I helped, everything would end up burnt."

Emma and Wanda share a laugh as the pair of them begin working together to prepare the meal. "Thank you for the help," Emma says after a couple of minutes of silence.

"It's no problem," Wanda tells her with a smile. "What's next? Salt and pepper?"

"Yep," Emma replies and Wanda flicks her hands causing the two containers to drift over from their place on the spice rack.

"Have you ever seen Star Wars?" Emma asks curiously upon seeing the gesture used so casually rather than combatively. Although Wanda had used her powers negatively on her the last time she encountered them, they still fascinated her. "Your powers remind me of the force from those movies. It's pretty cool."

Wanda smiles, "I'm glad you think so, especially after...what I did last time I used them on you." Emma nods and tries to figure out how to respond, but Wanda speaks again first. "I'm really sorry by the way. I was blinded by anger and thought I was doing the right thing. Ultron told me to try and tear all of you apart, so messing with everyone's heads seemed like the way to go."

Emma thinks for a second before responding, "I understand why you did what you did, the whole doing something out of anger and wanting to do what you thought was right. I don't blame you. Looking back on it from a different perspective, it was actually pretty genius."