Chapter 15 : a Lie

Weeks after weeks, Gustavo start enjoying his new routines; making statues, sculptures, and furnitures by Monday to Friday, and sending the finished artwork to the post office to be sent. Penelope herself likes her "job" too; managing the financial problem, taking orders, responding to complaints and questions, being a chef and a "housewife".

In the free time, they spend time reading books, watching TV, laying down on the sofa, play video games.

What they don't know is that there's a third person who always pays a visit every two weeks. Danny Boy.

In fact, the reason why he is so eager to come and visit is no longer because he is going to get some money for the supply. He admits that he wants to see Penelope. And, well, Penelope doesn't seem to disagree about it.

But everybody has their own secret.

***

It's Saturday and it's late in the afternoon. Gustavo is heading to the post office, again, after he has an afternoon snack of a few pastry, cookies, and ginger beer.

"Did you make the cookies yourself?" he asks.

"Yes. Why?"

"It tastes better than the last one."

She smiles.

"You know what?" Gustavo asks as he takes another bite.

"What?"

"I should get you a pair of eyes. Maybe tonight." He stands up and puts on his jacket. "You know, so that I don't have to look at blank concaves every time I talk to you."

"Oh. Thank you!" she smiles brightly.

Just when he opens the front door, Penelope stops him. "You know what, I like it when you wear suspenders. You should wear them more." He smirks and immediately leaves.

As usual, a few moments after, someone knocks on the front door. Penelope opens it and she finds Danny Boy is standing as he puts his thumbs inside his pocket jeans.

"Hey, beautiful."

"I'm not beautiful, and you know that."

He laughs. "So, is there any news? Any stories?"

"I suppose no." She shrugs as Danny Boy walks into one of the tables that hold almost-finished mini sculptures. He studies the wooden dog near the end of the table.

"Does Gustavo knows about us?"

"Why did you emphasize the 'us' in your sentence. You know there's nothing between us. You just accidentally see me and we start talking. That's all."

He laughs. "It is true. But that's not what I asked."

"No, he doesn't know."

"Why not?"

"I don't know, I guess I'm just afraid to tell him that I let myself expose to another person. He's a little bit stiff, you know."

"Yeah. I know." He laughs. "You need to go outside more. I think it would be good for you."

They both go silent, and in a few milliseconds, Danny Boy grabs her hand and takes her outside.

"Hey! What are you doing?!"

"Taking you outside! To show you how beautiful the world is." He pushes her into his truck and he immediately starts his truck before she could go out.

"Please take me back home. I'm afraid." She begs. Her voice sounds as if she can burst into tears any time.

"Please, don't worry. I-" he pauses when he sees the fuel meter. "Damn. I need to get fuel."