Chapter 8 : Late Night Snack

They're coming, and they're fierce. They know no mercy and they kill everything blocking their way. She had done everything she could to protect her friends, being killed with nasty seesaws and axes. She cried out her tears, and so did everyone else. But there was nothing she could do. They were too strong for her.

And they came for her; to kill and destroy her, to vanish and finish her. And those hands suddenly reached out for her.

***

Penelope wakes up. She gasps and sits down on her bed. She looks around and sighs. Her new room feels overwhelming with its queen-sized bed and dark red wallpaper.

She walks out slowly off her warm blanket. She touches the cold floor with her wooden feet and stands up immediately. She looks at the mirror next to her that shows the reflection of her woodenself. She sighs.

She's only wearing Gustavo's black shirt with nothing underneath. Ugh. If only he also bought pajamas.

But she has no right to complain. He's been so kind for buying her new outfit and paying for her daily needs. She stretches and yawns before he walks out of her bedroom.

She's heading to the kitchen where the light is, amazingly enough, still on. When she walks in, she finds Gustavo is having his midnight snack.

"Late night snack is not good for your body." She says as she takes out the orange juice bottle from the fridge.

"I'm hungry. And it's sliced apple." He says with his mouth full as he lifts up a slice of red apple. A knife is placed next to him beside his cellphone.

She laughs. She pours down the orange juice for herself and takes a slice of apple. "Hey! That's mine!" He exclaims, which causes her to laugh.

"It's mine now."

She sighs and takes a sip of the orange juice. She sits down next to him on her favourite red stool.

"Why are you up so late?" She asks.

"Hungry. You?"

"I had a nightmare."

"Nightmare. Pfft." He chuckles. "What are you? A kid?"

She throws an apple seed to him. "No I'm not a kid." She smiles as she bites her apple. He frowns and shakes his head as if he's mocking her.

"I just have wider imagination. And knowledge." She adds.

"Than who? A kid?"

"Than you, obviously. I've lived longer than anyone you've ever known."

He arches his brows and grabs her juice. He drinks the whole glass in one gulp.

"That's not funny. That's mine!" She says.

"It's mine now."

She pokes out her tongue, making him laugh. "You know, you're too childish for someone who has lived longer than I am." He says as he mimics her expression.

"I'm going to bed." She states.

He laughs again. "I want to go to bed too. Good night."

She smiles and walks away.

"For a record, this is the longest conversation with someone my age in the last few years." He says before Penelope goes to her room.

"Wow. You really are socially deprived." She mumbles.

"I can hear you." He says with plain tone.

"What? I'm not saying anything." She grins and runs away to her room. He shakes his head and smiles.