Chapter 7 : a Brand-New Experience

"Shopping?"

"Shopping."

Penelope looks at him and sighs. "You don't understand, do you?"

"What?" He frowns.

"I can't go out, Gus. I have an issue here. I'm a walking wooden mannequin. I can't go out."

"Do you really care about what people will think of you?"

"It's not like that, Gustavo. If I wear outfits that I like but people don't, I won't care much about it. But I'm a mamnequin. Don't you think people will freak out when they see me? Who knows if they might think you're an evil witch!"

"Evil witch?"

"Um. I mean. What if people think that you do some sort of black magic? Or, or what if they try to sell me in circus because I think I'm a freak?"

"Well, I don't think people still do that. But you're right." He pauses a moment to think of a better way.

"Wait a minute. How do you know my name?"

"Of course I do." She sits down in the red stool again. "When you create me, everything in me works like human being. Don't ask me why. I don't know how."

"So when you create my ears," she points her small ears. "I can hear you talking and mumbling while working."

"And when you create these," she points the two concaves where her eyes should be placed. "I can see everything! Well. No eyes. But I can see!"

"I thought it would be artistic, you know."

She smiles. "I like my boobs. They're not too big and not too small."

"Can we- can we not talk about that?"

Penelope laughs. "Oh, don't pretend you're naive! You jack off to sexy girls on internet, Gus."

"That's, um, normal?"

She laughs even more. He smiles when he sees her looks so happy. "Yea, I guess it's normal. I mean, people have needs, right?"

The silence slips in again. "I'm Penelope. Penelope Smith." She says, breaking the silence.

"Penelope. Penny for short?"

"Well. Um. Well, no one has ever called me Penny before. But that's alright, I suppose. If that's more convenient to you."

"Penny, then. Penelope is too long."

"Ha. Like Gustavo isn't"

"Yea, but you call me Gus. Without my permission. They're even pronounced different."

She frowns and laughs. "Gee. Why is it such a big deal?"

"I don't know." He arches his brows. "I guess I'll have to go out and buy you outfits."

"By yourself?"

"Yes. Unless you want to come with me."

"No."

He stands up and walks to the living room as she follows him behind.

"It won't take long. Make yourself at home." He takes his leather wallet and his car key. And he starts walking outside.

"If you're cold, you can take my blanket from my room. Make food if you're hungry. Um, if there's anything you need, just call me." He opens the door.

"Do you go out often?" She asks just before he walks out.

"No."

"Why? Do you have social anxiety? Maybe you're socially deprived!"

He thinks of his answer for a few moment. "No. I guess I just hate people."