Chapter 6 : Not Pinocchio

Gustavo looks at the wooden face in front of him. He does his best to digest what the hell is going on right now. At first, he was shocked because someone woke him up in the middle of the night, no one leaves here except him. Then he realized that the person who woke him has a wooden face, like, what kind of person that has a wooden face? And then something hit him, it's the mannequin he made for Bailey Florence!

"What the fuck?" He stands up fast, causing him to feel dizzy. He feels a cold touch in his head, but immediately slaps it off.

"This is just a dream." He grabs the mannequin's hand and drags her out of his room.

"Hey! What are you doing?!"

He laughs. "Oh, now Pinocchio talks too!"

He remembers his mom's favourite bedtime story; Pinocchio. It's a story about a marionette that comes alive and go through a journey to become a real boy.

"I'm not Pinocchio. I'm Penelope! Now let me go!!"

He stops. Penelope. Just like what Bailey Florence said.

"No, this is not real." He continues walking and he opens the front door. It's still raining, causing the scent of wet grass welcomes him with warmth. He throws the mannequin to the porch, followed by a small scream from her.

And he closes the door behind him.

***

Gustavo wakes up with a confused look. He doesn't remember why he slept in the sofa. He stands up quickly and stretches.

He brushes his unruly hair with his fingers and he opens his shirt while going to the shower. It doesn't take him long to finish his daily routine. He takes a frozen burrito from his fridge and puts it into the microwave. He, then, walks out to check on the morning newspaper.

He surprises himself when he opens the door. The mannequin is sitting right in front of the door. She stands up quickly and she makes an angry face.

"You evil bastard! You left me here all alone and wet! Were you trying to ruin me? To kill me?!" And she punches his left arm.

It doesn't hurt, at all. But Gustavo is too shocked to say anything. She barges in and holds out her tongue.

"W-what?" Gustavo frowns.

"I thought it's a dream." He whispers.

"A dream? Of course not."

"But it's impossible!"

"Well, it's already done. So it's possible." She puts one hand in her hips. And there's silence between them.

"I'm hungry." She walks to the kitchen and sits in the red stool.

"You-you're hungry?" He follows her to the kitchen slowly

"Yes. Can you make me something, please?"

They stare at each other for a few seconds. It's really awkward.

"Please?" She adds.

Gustavo blinks and finally decides to walk toward the fridge. He takes a few eggs, onions, celery, paprika. He chops the vegetables and cracks the eggs onto the pan. He puts the pan onto the stove before adding the chopped vegetables. He pours down some milk while adding the pepper and the salt.

"Hmm.. It smells good." Penelope compliments him, causing him to gasp. He hasn't get used to living with other people after 12 lonely years in his own castle.

When he's done, he puts the omelette onto his favorite plate and hands it over her. She immediately takes a bite and smiles as she closes her eyes.

"Hmm.. This is the best food I've ever had." She takes another bite. "You're so good at cooking."

"I have to. I-I don't have anyone to cook me anything."

"You've cooked for me. Then, I'll cook for you." And she smiles sincerely.

"If you can eat, does it mean that you can, you know, shit, too?"

Penelope frowns and laughs. "That's the weirdest question I've ever had." She tilts her head as if she's thinking.

"I don't know about that. I guess we'll figure that out later." She shrugs and continues eating.

A chime comes from the microwave nearby and Gustavo immediately takes his burrito.

They finish their breakfast in silent. He even washes the dishes in total silent.

"Is there anything I can do to help?" Penelope suddenly stands beside him, startles him.

"No. I guess not."

"You're a bit jumpy this morning."

"Of course I am. A goddamn living statue is eating from my kitchen. What the fuck do you expect me to react?" He puts the plate on the kitchen cabinet and dries off his hands. He looks upset.

He sighs and looks at Penelope. She's wet. He knows that it is wrong to let her wet. She might be broken after awhile. She might even get cold. Who knows?

"You're wet." He says.

Penelope holds her laughter. "Wet."

He narrows his eyes. "Not in a sexual way." He walks over the coffee machine and turns it on.

"I don't have anything else to wear. I don't even have a pair of shoes."

"I guess we have to go shopping." He puts a yellow cup inside, where a black coffee is poured inside and the smell of brewed coffee fills in the kitchen.

"Shopping?" She frowns.

"Shopping."