Chapter Four: The Proposition

Eflin's POV:

I sat at the table beside Rin. It was her thirteenth birthday and she would be coming to the academy soon. Arwin and Rosalie had adopted her when she was just a small child. In many ways I felt connected to her.

"Is the Prince coming?" Rin asked hopefully.

"I think he had to retu-" I started but there was a knock at the door.

Arwin opened it, and in walked Thorin. His eyes met mine, and instantly I was filled with regret. I shouldn't have smacked him.  But then again, he shouldn't have kissed me. "Happy birthday little one," he smiled at Rin.

Arwin gave him a seat beside me. I sat awkwardly through dinner, ignoring his presence, trying not to think about our kiss. Each time I did, my cheeks grew red with embarrassment that turned to fury. Who did he think he was? Did he just go around kissing women?

We sang the birthday song. I looked down at Rin and she looked so happy speaking with the Prince. She had been his fan since she was old enough to recognize him.

Rosalie sliced the cake, setting down slices in front of each if us. Absent mindedly I pushed my bite across my plate, trying to ignore the pain that coursed through my side. I politely excused myself.

Masking my pain, I stood and quietly walked out the back door. The moment my feet touched the dirt, I rushed out into the woods. Branches and twigs smacked against me, as the cold air bit my skin, but I ignored the added sting.

I needed a bit of time, and space. I needed to think. Why had he kissed me? Was this just a game? Was he laughing at me? What was his goal in all of this? I needed to rest, the pain was getting to me, but that never stopped me before. Today I was overwhelmed.

I sat against a tree, attempting to catch my breath. Before I knew it, the tears began to stream down my cheeks. I sobbed silently in the darkness. Why was this all happening to me? Why was the prince suddenly infatuated with me? None of this made any sense.

I heard a twig snap as someone approached. I put up a magical shield around me, a protective shell.

"What do you want from me?" I called out knowing it was him.

"Marry me," he spoke softly.

I burst into laughter, my shield faltering. Before I could raise it again, he stepped forward, pulling me up into his arms. "You're serious?!" I laughed. "That venom must've gotten me harder than I thought." I laughed even harder.

"Your laugh is wonderful," he smiled. "I just wish it wasn't gracing my ears at my own expense."

"Why would you, a prince, want to marry a mage like me? I'm cursed, damned. Forced to live in a world where I am hated and feared. What person would want a queen like that?" I spoke, searching his eyes. "Did that miserable oaf Tharn put you up to this? Is this a joke?"

"My father is ill. He will soon be passing the crown on to me. For that to happen, I must first be wed. I saw you in that arena. Not your power, I saw you. I know that we do not hold any love for eachother, but our people need a queen. I find that a woman who is willing to sacrifice herself to fight for her people, who works hard to strive to be the best she can is the perfect woman for the job. Many in the kingdom do not like you, because the idea of a woman being so powerful frightens them. I am not one of those people. I see the passion and conviction in your actions. I see that you are willing to put in the effort to be the person you aspire to be. So please, be my wife, and become the queen this place so desperately needs," he spoke.

I couldn't help it. As I stared into his deep green eyes, I cackled. "So you think that the one person in the kingdom that everyone collectively hates is the right choice for your queen? Are you hearing yourself?"

"They would think differently if they knew the sacrifices you made on their behalf," he argued.

"I don't care what they think," I replied, stepping away from him. "Don't you want the chance to marry for love? To find someone to stand beside you for life? Not just sit beside you on your throne?"

"My people come before my wants and needs. A sentiment I'm sure you understand," he replied.

"And you believe your people need me?" I scoffed. I stepped backward, trying to gain distance between us.

"Effie please," he pled.

"I don't know you," I replied. "You're asking me to give up everything to spend my life with a man I don't love, to protect the people who have mocked and mistreated me my entire life. Not to mention, I would spend my life serving those people, never allowed to leave or live for myself."

He stepped forward, placing a hand on each of my cheeks. He stared deeply into my eyes, "Eflin, do you trust me?"

"Are you hearing yourself? I do not know you, how could I possibly trust you? You may be the future king, but to me you're a strange man who follows me around, attempting to control my actions. Would you trust you?" I asked him angrily, breaking free from his grasp.

"I suppose not," he spoke. "How about this, give me two weeks to convince you that this is right for our people and for you. After that, if you wish to decline, I will never bother you again."

"How do I know that I can trust you?" I asked him.

"Why are you so convinced that you cannot?" he replied. "All I know is that I am drawn to you. It's like there's something unknown pulling me to you. My own complex feelings aside I know that having a strong queen such as you would greatly benefit the people of this kingdom. They just don't realize it yet."

"Two weeks," I replied, staring back at him.

"Two weeks," he vowed. "Now please, come with me to get your wound looked at."