Chapter Six: No Deal

Thorin's POV:

I rushed through the snow, stumbling over my feet. After what seemed like an eternity, the trees thinned and I could see the silhouette of Arwin's home.

"Ef, we're here, we are back, just hang on!" I called to her. Blood dripped from her wounds, I wasn't sure how much she could regenerate, but if it wasn't patched up soon she'd bleed out. I kicked my boot against the door unable to knock.

Arwin opened the door and his face paled. "What happened?" He yelled out, ushering us inside.

"Another beast, like the one from the tournament. This one was blue," I replied. "Please, help her. I have a sample of the venom."

Arwin and his wife cleared the last of what was on the table. "I need you to tell me exactly what happened," Arwin spoke as he laid blankets out on the table.

I quickly relayed the details of the battle, minus our argument throughout it. I laid her out on the table. "Rin! Take this bucket and gather clean snow," Arwin's wife called out to a scared Rin. "I'll come with you, we need as much as possible." They quickly left, Rin's eyes full of fear.

"How could she be so stubborn?!" I yelled out punching the wall.

"She only survived because if what she is, your highness. If one drop of venom seeped into your blood you'd be dead," Arwin argued. "This is going to hurt her alot. I'm going to need you to hold her down, it's the only way."

"What do you mean?" I asked worriedly.

"Do it your highness, or she will die!"

I gripped Eflin's arms and pressed her down against the table as Arwin pinned her legs.

"Al ibet ach aktar iman! Al ibet ach aktar iman!" Arwin chanted over and over. Eflin let out a blood curdling scream in pain as blood and venom flowed from her wound. Arwin continued to chant as she fought harder, breaking one leg free from Arwin's hold. She screamed louder in pain as she wept. She couldn't form words any longer. All she could feel was the searing pain of the venom ripping back through her body to leave her wound.

"Please!" she begged. "Make it stop!" My heart clenched as her body went limp.

"You can release her," Arwin spoke. I released her wrist and held her hand in mine.

"You made me a promise Ef, don't leave me now."

She stirred painfully in her sleep. "I'll check on that snow," Arwin spoke, hurrying from the room.

I stroked her hair that was covered in sweat. "You should have let me fight beside you. I don't see you as an expendable beast, Ef. I see you as the queen our people need, but don't deserve. You're thoughtful and caring. I need you to wake up. Please!" I spoke.

"It burns," she mumbled, without opening her eyes.

I'd observed her from afar for years, I'd never seen her this vulnerable and it frightened me. "Eflin, can you hear me?" I asked her, stoking her hair.

She bolted upright, gripping my wrist. "Don't touch me," she growled, releasing it. "I need to get out of here," she spoke, sliding from the table.

"You nearly died," I spoke, reaching out to stop her.

"It's a shame I didn't. It would leave you one less monster to worry about. You know, I thought you actually had it in you to be different. The only reason you brought me to Arwin is your stupid sense of duty. You know nothing about me. Any future child we might have as king and queen would be half me. Your reaction to me is one thing, but why would I help provide an heir that would be hated by their own people for something they never asked for. I didn't choose to be this, Thorin," she ranted as she puked from my grasp. "Besides, I have things to do."

She waved her hand and clean bandages apoeared, already covering her wounds. "Ef, that's not it at all," I spoke trying to stop her.

"How could I marry someone who looks petrified of me, even now?" she added sadly. "Now I really do have to go. The next attack won't stop itself."

"You're not a monster, Eflin. That's not how I see you. I'm not afraid of you, I'm worried for you," I spoke. "I chose to propose to you because of your wonderful heart, your willingness to protect those around you, your sense of duty, and because of what you can do in the ring. I never chose you to use you for what you are. I'll admit, I was suprised when you rammed that sword into yourself. But I was never scared of you."

"IF I give you a chance Thorin, you cannot interfere with these beasts. They will kill you," she spoke.

"Only if they bite me or cut me," I teased.

She looked at me, frustration brimming in her eyes. "No deal," she said firmly as she left.