Chapter Seven: Malleus

Eflin's POV:

He was infuriating. How could he be so daft. "Eflin I was joking," Thorin quipped, following after me.

"This isn't a joke, Thorin. People will die, you can die. It's going to take a lot more than a couple bites from these beasts to kill me. And I can't have you around distracting me because you won't listen to reason," I snapped.

"You can trust me, I'll do better," he spoke, reaching out to me, but I was moving too quickly. I was drenched in blood, walking through the snow. I needed to get to my house.

"Why do you always feel the need to touch me?" I growled, yanking my arm dark from him.

We made our way to the academy's employee housing area. I used my cloak to cover my body as much as I could. I didn't need anyone asking me questions. I was sure to get enough about the prince following me around like a lost puppy.

"I'm not sure, I just feel the need to keep you close," he mumbled.

"Well, don't," I snapped back.

"I'm sorry if I've upset you," she spoke following me.

"If?" I asked, feeling truly annoyed. "You have definitely annoyed me. This wishy washy back and forth you have going on here is making me crazy. Put your hood on, I don't want anyone recognizing you, and I don't need you fighting my battles."

He put his hood up as we moved through the paths between the houses. "You're leaving a trail blood," he whispered.

"I'm sorry, I'll do my best to bleed less, your highness," I spoke with a sarcastic curtsey.

"I thought you wanted to lay low," he whispered.

"No, I want YOU to lay low," I growled in frustration.

"Eflin!" Called out a sinister, yet familiar voice.

"Don't interfere," I growled quietly at Thorin.

"Malleus!" I called out with false joyful recognition.

"You owe a debt, and I'm here to collect," he hissed at me, revealing his bloody teeth.

"Well first off, I owe you nothing, Malleus. Second, I'd punch your face in after what happened at the docks, but it looks like someone already has. Third, I'd sooner make a deal with Rumplestiltskin himself than trust you again," I argued.

He leapt down onto the ground in front of me.

"It wasn't a request," Malleus hissed again, rushing at me with such great speed that he shoved me against the wall.

Thorin began to move but I put up my hand, halting him as I punched Malleus in the gut and broke free from his grasp. My cloak fell open, revealing my bloody torso and cloak.

The crowd who'd heard the commotion and gathered gasped at my condition. "You look like swiss cheese! What's a few more holes my love?" Malleus cackled, throwing several daggers at me. I dodged each one except for the last. It drove into my side, just above the bite wound.

"I am not yours Malleus, and I never will be," I yelled back.

"Go on, show your people what a monster you can be. The girl who heals herself. The beast who defies the laws of nature. The monster who never bleeds, though I guess that last one isn't quite true," he mocked.

"As much of an annoyance as you are Malleus, I won't let you provoke me into becoming something I'm not," I growled back. "I'm not going to attack you out of anger."

"It's a curious thing, your ability. You can heal yourself, but you still feel every moment of pain. You've turned your back on me, and the guild. Now you'll know what true pain is," Malleus declared ominously. He held five blades in his hand and threw them.

Each hit it's intended target, causing a cry of pain to erupt from my lips. Malleus disappeared as I withdrew each blade from my chest. "What are you all still doing here. You saw what you wanted, now beat it," I spat. Blood dripped from my lips as I moved toward my house.

I pushed the door open and collapsed just inside with Thorin in tow. He moved closer to me, but to his credit, he did not touch me. He closed the door behind him.

"Are you alright?" He asked.

"Why do you care?" I snapped back. I painfully scooted toward the fireplace against the wall.