Chapter Twelve: Summoning Courage.

Elfin's POV:

The next morning I felt him before I saw him. His fingertips trailed up my spine as he nuzzled against me. "Morning," I spoke as I stretched and opened my eyes.

"Good morning My Love," he smiled, pressing his lips down over mine.

"What's got you all excited?" I asked him teasingly.

"Today I get to show the kingdom what you've done to protect them," he smiled with determination.

"I don't know if that's what we should do," I cowered nervously, burrowing into his chest.

"This is the first step to you becoming queen, please, this is necessary. Just trust me," he smiled.

I nodded nervously.

"Now, today is a happy day!" He smiled.

"What do you mean?" I asked in response.

"Today I get to see you in something other than armor," he teased, his smirk growing by the second.

"I'm not wearing armor now," I wiggled my eyebrows suggestively. "I wasn't wearing armor last night."

"Last night doesn't count," he spoke darkly. "You were left wearing what they allowed you to keep as they beat you."

"I-I meant in the bath, Thorin," I spoke nervously, wondering if I had pushed him too far, if he would turn on me too.

His eyes softened, wrapping his arms around me. "While I love your wonderful chest, the things that led us to that point are still unforgivable. I will figure out who caused that to happen the way it did. I can't prove it, but I am sure it is Narcissa."

I sighed softly as he pulled me together against him. "I took my eyes off you for a few short moments. You had just finished saving me and they were ready to execute you without giving you a chance to defend yourself. That's not the kind of kingdom I wish to lead," he spoke sadly.

"It's okay, I'm okay," I whispered, curling against his chest.

"Tonight everyone will know the truth," he smiled, holding me closer.

A couple of minutes later I was sliding into the bath he had prepared for me. I wanted to pull him in beside me, rest against him. He insisted I relax while he gathered what was needed for the announcement.  My stomach grumbled, it felt like days since I had eaten. I relaxed back into the water.

My eyes closed and just as I nearly fell asleep, I felt a presence looming over me. Pressure settled in my chest making it hard to breathe. I opened my eyes and there stood a strange woman towering over me. Dark energy swirled around her.

Before long, I recognized her as Narcissa, the woman who had me thrown in the dungeons.

"I wanted to see if I could tell what his highness sees in you, but I cannot. Enjoy your time with the future king. It will not last," she spoke disappearing into a cloud of dark smoke. I didn't know when or how, but she was going to harm me. I'm just not sure why.

Unable to enjoy my bath any longer, I finished washing my body and hoisted myself from the tub. I quickly dried myself and changed into my gown for the royal address. I needed to warn Thorin about Narcissa and her threats but my nerves swallowed my thoughts.

I quickly moved toward my belt, securing it around my waist, ensuring my sword rested properly in its sheath. I carefully pinned my hair back in a regal style and waited for Thorin to return. 

As if he knew I had been waiting, and didn't want to keep my bored, he burst through the door. Instantly I leapt to my feet, feeling insecure about my current appearance. "Thorin, I-" I spoke but he cut me off.

"You are the most beautiful person I have ever seen," he spoke, his lips pressing against mine.

I moaned softly in response as he pulled back. "I need to tell you something. Narcissa came to see me this morning, she's planning something, I just dont know what. The kingdom is in danger."

"I know, but whatever it is, we will find out and we will stop her. Not just for us, but for the people of Thaezmir," he spoke, protectively pulling me against him.

"Alright," I spoke softly.

Before long, he was leading me out of our chambers and down the massive halls. I felt my body stiffen with anxiety, but I didn't stop him. I trusted Thorin, I believed in him.

We arrived at the doors leading to the second floor porch. I took a deep breath, worried about what was going to happen next, Narcissa was planning something, I just didn't know what or how soon she would strike.

Thorin stopped and faced me. "Listen to me, my love. I won't let anything bad happen. As long as I am who I am, I will love you, protect you, and rule alongside you. In just a few days time, I will marry you, and you will become queen. You can do the things you love without having to exist in the shadows. This is just the first step."

"Perhaps we should wait until we know what Narcissa is planning," I spoke softly, resting my hand on his.

"I won't allow her actions to delay my plans to make you my wife," Thorin spoke protectively. "It is time the people know what you have done for them, and what you continue to do. You deserve to be acknowledged for protecting everyone, despite their treatment of you."