Chapter Ten: Punishment

Thorin's POV:

I saw her expression change in an instant. She slid out from under me and hopped to her feet. The pained expression on her face was unmistakable. "Red has arrived," she mumbled.

"You haven't had enough time to rest," I insisted.

"I've had plenty," she smiled kissing my lips. "Don't you dare stop me now, remember, this brings us one step closer to our happy ending."

I helped her buckle her belt with her weapons in place.

"Be careful, Love," I spoke gripping her shoulders and kissing her. She smiled against my lips.

"I won't punch you for that one, don't worry," she smiled as she pulled away from me and rushed down the stairs. I followed her closely. I could tell she was in pain and favoring her right side. I didn't dare to call it out though, that would only anger her. She ran out of her small house, out of the village and into the forest. We wove in and out of the trees as we got closer and closer to the ground just outside the casket walls.

We could see smoke overhead. She was leading us right to where all of our farms are. "Ef?!" I called out.

"Get the animals out, we can herd them back after. The beast is setting fires," she yelled as she cast a wall of water, extinguishing the flames burning up the trees around them. "I'll get my barrier up, to protect the crops and the far barns by enclosing the beast."

"You'll be suffocated by the smoke!" I yelled out as she ran toward it.

"Save the cows and the horses in the main barn! Everywhere else should be safe!" she yelled as her barrier swallowed her up. The beast collided with the wall of the barrier and turned, spotting Eflin.

As much as I wanted to watch, I needed to help the horses and the cows. I spun around and rushed toward the barn. The flames had already danced far above my head. I opened all of the stalls and ushered the creatures out.

A small, frightened pony refused to leave from the back, terrified by fear. I rushed into the barn, coughing and covering my face. The barn was set to collapse at any moment. I rushed to the pony, grabbing a carrot from the feed bag near by and led her out, using the carrot as bait.

Just as the pony rushed out, I heard a soft meowing coming from behind me. I looked up, and the barrier was disappearing, Eflin must have defeated the red beast. I could hear her calling my name, but I had to get the barn cat out.

I turned back, and scooped the kitten up in my arms. Seeing a pile of soft undisturbed hay outside the window, I tossed her gently through the small opening. Eflin entered the barn, bloody and weak.

She was gasping for breath, blood dripping down her sides. Just as she entered, a large beam collapsed and I cowered, lifting my arms over my head.

She had cast a small barrier at the last moment, protecting me. I looked at her, hoping she could see the gratitude in my eyes. She seemed to grow weaker by the second. She cast a spell that caused water to rain down around us, extinguishing the flames. She collapsed with a loud thud, reaching her limit.

"Eflin!" I screamed out, pounding against the barrier.

"It's okay," she spoke softly, as the barrier disappeared.

Before long, the toxic fumes from the smoke overtook us.

~☆~☆~☆~☆~☆~☆~☆~☆~☆~

I blinked carefully. My body ached. There was a bright white light surrounding the room. I was in the medical ward.

"Where's Eflin?" I bolted upright, searching for her in the room.

The nurse in the corner of the room jumped, startled. "I'll go get the Lady," she scurried out of the room.

Seconds later a strange woman entered the room. I could feel the magic practically dripping off of her. "Your Magesty, we are pleased to see you are awake," she smirked. I did not like this woman at all.

"Where is Eflin?" I bellowed.

"In the dungeons, awaiting her execution. She kidnapped the crown prince, and set fire to the barn in an attempt to kill you," the woman smiled sadly. "That monster will get what she deserves!"

"Eflin is no monster, I stayed the night looking over her and her wounds after she fought to defend our kingdom. She is your Future Queen, if a singular hair on her head has been hurt, you will pay," I spat back, climbing out of bed.

"She is no future Queen of yours, she's nothing more than a magical broodmare for some other beast to breed and gove us something to fight. Your father was right to send me to look after you," she argued.

"You may be the one keeping my father's bed warm at night since my mother's passing, but my authority still supercede yours. You are nothing more than a concubine, she is your Future Queen."

I stormed out of the infirmary and made my way to the dungeons. Various guards attempted to stop me, but I pushed past them, threatening their positions. As I moved closer to the cells, a sick feeling settled over me. How long had I been asleep? How long had she been down here?

When I found her, she was on the ground, huddled in a ball. They'd taken her armor, and left her in nothing but underwear and a bra. Bruises covered her face and body, and a puddle of water rested around her as if someone emptied a bucket over her. She shook and chattered.

I fell to my knees beside her, removing my shirt and covering her with it as I swept her into my arms.

In a small empty voice she spoke. "I d-d-don't b-b-belong h-here," she chattered. "I c-c-can't be your Q-q-queen. I'm s-s-sorry," she spoke as the tears fell down her cheeks.

"What did they do to you?" I whispered sadly, placing a soft kiss on her lips.

"I'm, s-scum, a m-monster. I need to l-leave," she wept.

"You aren't going anywhere, Ef," I commanded as I cradled her in my arms and carried her out of the dungeon, through the castle, and into my room. Shocked stares followed us, but I ignored them, the only person that mattered was in my arms.

I set her down in the bathtub and ran warm water over her body. I didn't think she'd want to be completely naked with me, so I kept her undergarments on. "Why didn't you fight back?" I asked stripping down to my undergarments, and sliding into the tub behind her, cradling her against me for warmth.

"That would only make me the monster that they claim I am," she mumbled softly.

"What did they do to you?" I asked worriedly. In the light I noticed new cuts and wounds I hadn't seen in the dark dungeon.

"Don't worry about it, Your Majesty," she whispered.

"Don't go back to being formal like that with me," I spoke hoarsely.

"I have to, or I'll get too attached and never be able to leave," she mumbled softly, relaxing against my chest as she drifted off.