The Yamada's

Hizashi had gotten pretty used to his routine. He woke up, usually before the other kids, showered, put his hearing aids in and by that time it was usually breakfast. After breakfast all the kids were sent off to school. When school finished he played a game of chess with Hibiki. Usually Hizashi won but sometimes Hibiki and Yua worked together to beat him. After that Hizashi went outside to read until dinner. When dinner was over he went to the bedroom and did his homework before turning in for bed.

   Honestly he had read nearly every book in the orphanage so his reading time was more of a thinking time. He did a lot of thinking already though.

   Hizashi remembered that it was a Saturday when it happened. He was inside reading because of the cold. Usually it was pretty quiet so he didn't need to worry about the noise.

   And then Hibiki ran in. Hibiki was two years younger than Hizashi and had been here nearly a year now. He was a sweet kid but pretty reckless sometimes (he didn't even have a quirk yet). That reckless nature was shown when he nearly fell on his face running into the commons.

   "We have visitors!"

   Hizashi huffed immediately. Great. It was about to get super loud in here. It wasn't that Hizashi didn't like people, it was just that most people didn't want a "defective" child.

   He reached up to take his hearing aids out. The world fell quiet. He returned to his book.

   A moment later he glanced up to see who was here. There were two women linked at the arms being ushered into the room by one of the nannies. They looked cool enough. Hizashi wished whoever got picked well. Maybe Hibiki would get a home. Or Yua if they wanted a girl.

   Hizashi smiled at the thought of his friends getting homes. He flipped to the next page in the book.

   A while passed and a pair of feet appeared in Hizashi's vision. He nearly jumped out of his skin as he looked up.

   The couple was standing above him. The one with black hair smiled and waved.

   Hizashi made a face and grabbed his hearing aids from his pockets. He returned the wave.

   The ginger haired woman lit up seeing the hearing aids. She grinned a little bit and brushed her hair out of the way to reveal sleek black hearing aids in her ears.

   The black haired one took over. "Hello there!"

   Hizashi waved again.

   "Do you know sign?" She spoke while signing. She had an odd accent to her words.

   Hizashi blinked a little and nodded. 'I taught myself.'

   'What's your name?' The raven asked.

   'Hizashi.' Hizashi added the sign for sun just to emphasize his point.

   'That's a lovely name! I'm Mayumi and this is my wife Fumiko.' The raven signed, gesturing appropriately.

   'Nice to meet you.'

   The red head, Fumiko, took over now. 'Can we ask you a few questions?'

   Hizashi closed his book now and nodded. This was odd. Usually none of the visitors wanted to talk to him. He was an older kid, well older compared to the toddlers and littler ones, and he had a disability and a dangerous quirk.

   'Are you deaf?'

   Hizashi nodded in response.

   'Can you talk?'

   Hizashi hesitated. He wanted to say no but that would be a lie. He could talk very well for his situation! But his old foster parents didn't like it... He probably shouldn't lie no matter how much he wanted to say no. 'I can...' He let his hands drift to his lap again.

   'But you don't like to?' The raven (Mayumi?) finished.

   Hizashi nodded.

   'That's okay! Me too.' Fumiko smiled. 'How old are you?'

   'Eleven.'

   'What do you like to do?'

   'Read mostly. I also love music and chess.'

   Fumiko's smile just kept getting brighter.

   For a while the questions kept coming. Favorite animal, food, color, song? Do you like other games? TV? Friends? School? So many questions.

   Finally Mayumi spoke up. "Darling."

   Fumiko looked up from where she was showing Hizashi pictures of their cat.

   Mayumi tapped her wrist as if looking at a watch.

   Fumiko furrowed her brows and glanced at her phone. She frowned a little. 'I'm sorry Sunshine but Mayumi and I have to go.'

   Hizashi felt his heart sink. 'Okay.'

   'We'll see you around little one.' Mayumi smiled and ruffled Hizashi's hair. The action felt so soft and warm it almost hurt.

   'Bye bye Sunshine!' Fumiko smiled.

   Hizashi smiled and waved as they left.

   Not even a moment after the door closed Hibiki launched into his side. "Dude!!!"

   Hizashi shoved Hibiki off and huffed.

   "Sorry, sorry... But they totally liked you!!!"

   Hizashi blinked. 'You think?'

   Hibiki frowned, deciphering the signs before he nodded. "Totally! They talked to me and Yua and then Shiro, Katsume and Tulia before the red-head saw you! They talked to you for like an hour!"

   An hour?! Hizahsi swiveled to look at the clock. He hadn't realized it had been that long. He had missed the chess game... 'I see. So they really liked... me?'

   Yua came up to join the conversation. 'They loved you Hizashi! I think they're gonna come back again!'

   Hizashi felt warmer than he had in years...