The Final Straw. . .

When Hizashi turned 13 he began to change. His quirk counseling was set for Wednesday's after school. The counselor was a very kind man who wore headphones and soundproofed a gym so Hizashi could work to control his quirk. When his quirk control became better he became a very talkative child.

   "Kara! Kara! Where are you going?"

   "Fumiko! My hearing aids are acting weird!"

   "Mika do you have Tora?"

   "Mayumi, what are we having for dinner?!"

   Hizashi loved using his voice when he finally got the chance! He was a very excited child. He loved games and singing and he even joined the English club at school.

   The family was amazed by his progress.

   Other times... Hizashi would stow away in his room and go back to reading quietly. Mayumi worried greatly about this while Fumiko understood that sometimes... things just got too loud.

   "Hizashi?"

   Hizashi looked up from where he was reading on the couch. "Yes Ma'am?"

   Mayumi grabbed her keys off the hook. "I need to visit the market. Do you want to come?"

   Hizashi closed his book and stood up. "Where are Mika and Kara?"

   "Kara is with her friends and Mika is with Fumiko."

   "Okay." Hizashi went to slip his shoes on. "What did you need from the market?"

   Mayumi opened the door and locked it after them. "I need some groceries. Tora also broke Fumiko's favorite cup so I want to get her a new one."

   "Okay!"

   The two got in the car to head out. "So Hizashi. How do you like school? DO you know where you wanna go to highschool?"

   Hizashi blinked. "I dunno. I haven't thought about it. I might go where Mama works."

   Mayumi jerked lightly, making the car shake a little.

   Hizashi squeaked. "What was that?!"

   Mayumi grinned. "You called her mama..."

   Hizashi flushed pink. "I- Well..."

   "It's okay kiddo! You can call both of us mom if you want!" Mayumi reached over to ruffle his hair. "We adopted you after all."

   Hizashi pushed her hand away with an embarrassed flush. "Leave my hair alone!"

   Mayumi giggled and put her hand back on the wheel. "Really though. What do you want to do after school?"

   The boy looked serious for a moment before he opened his mouth again. "I wanna be a DJ!"

   Mayumi snorted out a laugh. "You'd make a pretty cool DJ."

   "I know right! I could have my own radio show and all that! I would be super famous!" Hizashi grinned brightly. "Either that or maybe an English teacher like you. I'm really good at English."

   The woman smiled lightly, glad that her son could look up to her even though she was quirkless. "That sounds nice. You'd be a cool teacher too."

   Hizashi continued to beam. "You think so?"

   Mayumi parked the car and ruffled his hair again. "I know so. C'mon kiddo. We need to get shopping."

   "Coming Mom!" Hizashi hummed, getting out of the car to follow her into the market.

. . .

   Three days after Hizashi's 14th birthday tragedy struck. Fumiko was caught in a villain attack on a major bank. She was dead before the heroes arrived on scene.

    It rained the whole day for her funeral. After the event Hizashi was holding Mika close while Kara had retreated back to the car to avoid the rain. Mayumi was standing next to her youngest two staring at the grave.

   Hizashi was tense. He loved Fumiko. That was his mama. The one who understood him more than anything. She was gone...

   "I'm gonna be a hero."

   Mika sniffled and looked up at her brother.

   Mayumi also looked up from her dazed state.

   Hizashi clenched his hands on Mika's shirt. "I'm gonna be a hero. I'll make sure something like this never happens again. I'm gonna protect kids."

   The girl buried her face in her brother's shirt again.

   Mayumi reached over to pat her son's head. "Okay. I believe in you."

   Hizashi felt tears drip down his face. He leaned against his mom and stared back at the tombstone. He was going to be a hero... He was.