Words

Life as Hizashi Yamada was strange. He went to a brand new school where most people didn't know sign language. The school was huge! During lunch he usually sat alone. He missed his friends...

   But at home he was overjoyed! He has his own room to decorate how he wanted, he got to play with the cat whenever he wanted, he barely had any chores now! He had a phone! Usually he was playing online chess or reading. (He couldn't believe how many books he had access to now!) Mika and Kara were both not so bad either!

   Usually Mayumi brought the three home from school. She worked as an English teacher at their middle school. Hizashi was good at English. Well... He was good at the writing part. Usually his teachers worked around his speaking problem. Even the new school had some sort of accommodation for that.

   Hizashi got along pretty well with Fumiko as well. She worked most days and he found out she was a nurse at a school just for the hearing impaired! When Hizashi was sick, Fumiko made his fever go down with barely a touch! Her quirk was pretty amazing!

   As the months passed Hizashi began to think. Maybe his self-inflicted promise could come to an end? Maybe he should start talking again... The thoughts swirled inside his mind for days before he finally did something about it.

   Mayumi usually began dinner a little while after they got back from school and Fumiko got home when dinner was ready. He went up to Mayumi and tugged her sleeve lightly.

   Mayumi sparred a quick glance down and then turned to face him for a moment. "What is it kiddo?"

   Hizashi paused, staring up at her from a moment before he opened his mouth. "I... I wanna go to quirk counseling..."

   Mayumi looked thoroughly shocked before a grin split her face. "Of course Sunshine! I'll talk to Fumiko when she gets home okay? Is there anything else you need?"

   Hizashi shook his head. "Thank you..."

   Mayumi grinned wider and ruffled his hair. "Course kiddo! Wanna help with dinner?"

   The boy paused but eventually nodded.

   "Awesome. Can you mix this while I chop the veggies?"

   "Okay..." Hizashi smiled and went to do that.

   Mayumi beamed while watching the boy work. She was so glad to see him trying. She turned back to the counter and continued chopping the vegetables.