24. Stay

"It's nice to meet you," said Kain, extending his hand towards Jason, grabbing it in a firm handshake.

"Likewise," responded Jason as he returned the firm grip with his own.

"Kain lives with me occasionally," said Tyrus. "When it suits him, that is."

"Much quieter than the frat house," chimed in Kain. "At least I can get some actual study done here."

"Kain attends the University of Montana," Tyrus began. "I believe Riley goes there as well, does she not?" he asked Jason.

Jason nodded, seeing Kain stiffen slightly in place at the mention of Riley's name. He shrugged it off as nothing.

"It was nice to meet you, Jason," said Kain formally. "However, I have some assignments that need seeing to and I don't want to disturb your lunch any further," he said, pointing to the dishes accumulating in the kitchen.

Kain left swiftly, nodding at Jason in a brief motion before picking up his bag from the hallway and disappearing around the corner. The distant echo of footsteps clattered up the stairs.

"I'm sorry, I didn't expect him to be home today," said Tyrus, breaking the silence. "I'm just going to check in on him. Please make yourself at home."

Tyrus disappeared up the stairs as Jason casually sat down on one of the kitchen bench stools and waited.

***

Kain dropped his bag on his bed, pulling out his laptop and placing it on his dark wooden desk. His room here was much nicer than his room at the fraternity house, and he enjoyed looking out over the river and mountains through the floor to ceiling windows.

But even the peace, quiet, and soothing sound of the river below that filtered in through his open window couldn't distract him from his sour mood.

A knock on the door distracted him from his thoughts. "Come in," said Kain just as the door to the room opened and in walked Tyrus, who closed the door behind him.

"I'm sorry," said Kain. "I didn't know you had company, otherwise I wouldn't have come. I won't be here long. Just need to finish this assignment in peace, then I'll get out of your hair."

"This is your home, too. You're welcome here anytime." Tyrus said as he walked over to Kain's king size bed, adorned with navy Egyptian cotton bed sheets and took a seat on the edge of the bed. "So why don't you tell me what that phone call was about last night?"

Kain sighed, pulling his chair away from his desk as he swivelled it around and took a seat. He leaned forward, resting his elbows on his knees while clasping his hands together.

"I don't understand why you asked me to watch her. All she does is parade around, showing off her scarred arms to everyone. It's like she's asking for the pity vote," Kain ranted.

"Is this about Emily?" asked Tyrus, raising his eyebrow.

"There all the fucking same," replied Kain as he leaned his head back, staring up at the ceiling.

"Emily was mentally unstable," Tyrus started. "You can't expect everyone with scars to be like her. It was an unfortunate situation, but you can't blame Riley for the events of your past."

Kain did his best to turn the conversation away from Emily. She was the last person he wanted to think about. "Don't you have other people watching Riley, anyway?"

"I do. All I ask is that you keep an extra eye on her when you can," said Tyrus, who, as usual, gave nothing away. He was always keeping some sort of secret.