37. Don't Tell

Noah settled himself on the light grey wicker lounge on the front porch as he overlooked the privacy of the deep green forest in the distance, laying just across the wheat coloured field of their property. He was yet again waiting for Riley to finish getting ready, which some days took five minutes and on others he could wait nearly an hour. Today was one of the long days, so he took to sipping on his cup of coffee, the steam reflecting in the light of the early sun as he lost himself in his thoughts.

The field reminded him of the time he chased Riley down as he so desperately tried to reach her and comfort her. The time she finally let them know about the pain she had been suffering at the hands of their step-father. She had been through so much and all he wanted to do was be there for her. Help her.

This place already contained so many memories, despite not being here for more than a couple of years. Memories of pain and anger. But there were also good moments as well. A lot of enjoyable moments between the three of them and even though they were all far from being healed, they were alive, and they were together, finally.

A vibration in his pocket drew him out of his thoughts as he reached into his jeans and pulled out his phone, checking the caller ID. It was Tyrus.

"Tyrus," said Noah, placing the phone to his ear. Tyrus never called him. Sure, they texted on occasion about organising a new sparring session, but that was about it.

"Noah," Tyrus breathed out, pausing with a sigh. "Is Jason home yet?"

"No, why? Is everything okay?" asked Noah, placing down his coffee mug on the table in front of him and sitting up straighter.

"Noah, I need to tell you something. And I need to be sure you'll listen to what I have to say. It's very important that you listen to everything I have to say. Can you promise me you'll hear me out?"

"I'll hear you out, but that's as far as I'm taking any promises until I know what's happening."

Noah waited as Tyrus paused for a moment, only adding to the suspense as he patiently waited for Tyrus to tell him god knows what. All he knew was that Jason obviously stormed off after Tyrus dropped some bomb shell on him, or they got into a fight. Either way, it had to be serious if Tyrus was calling him and at the end of the day, he was always going to be on Jason's side.

After a deep breath heard on the other end of the phone, Tyrus started talking again. "I work with the FBI."

"I thought you worked in finance?" queried Noah, as he tried to shrug it off as nothing. After all, he probably had good reason to lie about where he worked, but then again, if lied about that, what else did he lie about? "But nevermind, that can't be all, so continue."

"My team and I have been tracking your step-father's whereabouts. We helped Vincent escape from prison so he could lead us to his connections, but we lost contact with him a couple of hours ago."

Noah froze, and he almost dropped his phone before his eyes started darting around the property and onto the open field. Vincent was out of prison and just the thought sent his mind whirling as he locked eyes on the front door. Was Riley safe? How close was he if Tyrus was tracking his movements here? How long did he have?

"Noah." He heard his name being called down the phone, and he propped it back up to his ear. "Are you still there?"

"Yeah..."

"I know it's a lot to take in, but Jason is on his way back to you now. We have eyes and ears on both you and Riley. You're safe. Jason is getting ready to pack up and leave, but I need to ask you something, Noah."

And he knew exactly what Tyrus was going to ask of him, but already he was on his brothers side. Pack up and leave. "You know I'm going to take his side, Tyrus. He's my brother."