56. No Remorse

"Let her go." Noah clenched his teeth in anger, watching as Vincent kept his fingers wrapped around Riley's throat. It burned from the intensity and pressure as she struggled to release his grip. It was no use. He was too strong.

Vincent kicked Riley in the back of the knees, releasing his choke hold as she collapsed on to the ground. Her hands barely even reached the floor before Vincent grabbed her hair and pulled her back up. Riley's eyes were wild with anger and pain as he tugged harshly on her hair.

Kain stepped forward, his eyes swirling with a fire and intensity Riley had never seen before. The fury behind his eyes rippled through his body as it vibrated in rage. The muscles in his arms and chest flexed as he brought his hands together in front of him, cracking his knuckles. Even Riley was scared of him and he noticed Vincent's hand slightly loosen in her hair before he gained his composure again and gripped her even tighter. The pain seared through her scalp and she left off a hiss of pain.

Before Kain could even take one step forward, Noah came and stood in front of him. A look of pure rage as he pushed Kain behind him.

"He's mine," seethed Noah.

Vincent let off a loud laugh. "Ha! You, boy? You've got to be joking."

"What do you say, Vincent? How about we go a little one on one?" Noah put away the gun in his back pocket.

"Noah, please don't," called out Riley. She didn't want to see him get hurt. Not like last time.

Vincent let go of her hair, pushing her head to the ground, which caused Riley to steady herself with her hands on the floor.

"It's okay Riley. I've got you this time," said Noah, taking a step forward and clenching his fists. Kain sidestepped, looking annoyed at not having the opportunity to beat Vincent into the ground. Yet he moved closer to her, getting ready to grab Riley as soon as the opportunity presented itself.

"Are you sure about this, Noah?" asked Tyrus.

"I can manage Vincent. I kicked your ass, didn't I?" Noah smirked at Tyrus.

Tyrus raised his hands in defeat, taking a step back, clearly confident of Noah's skills. Riley, however, was still crouched down on the floor, looking between Vincent and Noah as she felt the nerves spread over her body. Noah had never defeated Vincent in a fight before and she was worried it would end up the same outcome as always, with Noah bloodied and on the floor. After all, that was what their childhood looked like.

But she didn't have anymore time to worry as Noah made the first move. Fast and quick as lightning, he traversed the distance between himself and Vincent. Vincent was caught off guard as Noah punched him in the jaw, sending his head flying to the side. Noah was agile and quick, something new and unexpected for Vincent, who was used to the old Noah. The weaker Noah. But Noah's training for the past two years had paid off, and he hit Vincent with another punch to the gut, sending him curling over in pain.

Vincent stumbled backwards, spitting a splatter of blood onto the floor. "You bastard!"

While the two men circled each other, looking for an opening, Kain came in at the side, grabbing Riley up off the floor and pulling her back into his grasp. They moved back over to the safety of Tyrus.

"Are you okay?" asked Kain.

"I'm fine." Riley rubbed her burning scalp from the pain, but overall she came out mostly unscathed apart from the fingerprints forming around her neck.

"I'm glad you're both okay, but where's Jason?" asked Tyrus, who seemed more confident to leave Vincent in the hands of Noah.

Riley and Kain looked at each other, then back at Tyrus. She didn't want to admit it as the thought of Jason crossed her mind. She just hoped that they were in time.

"He's down the corridor. Take your first left and then second right." Riley pointed in the direction which they came from.

Tyrus made a move forward before he was stopped by Kain, pulling back on his shoulder. "He wasn't in the best shape when we left him, Tyrus. Just... be prepared."

Tyrus nodded, slipping past Noah and Vincent, who were still fighting it out before he disappeared down the corridor and out of sight. A tear slipped down Riley's cheek. She didn't even want to think about it right now. She just couldn't.

Their attention was drawn back to the fighting when she found Vincent on the floor, arms up in a defensive stance as Noah striked his fists into Vincent's body. In the mere moments that Riley had been distracted, it already looked like Noah had won. There wasn't even a scratch on him, but Vincent was thoroughly beaten to a pulp on the ground, with blood scattered everywhere.

Noah stood up, backing away from him as he scrambled back to his feet. Vincent was panting, covered in sweat, and despite the pain and exhaustion, he seemed eager to continue with the fight.

"Is that all you've got?" he taunted Noah as he wiped the blood away from his mouth.

"Give it up already, Vincent. Admit defeat and I'll make your death quick." Noah stood there, waiting for an answer. He didn't seem to have exerted himself at all. There was no sweat across his brow. His breathing was even, and he didn't look intimidated by Vincent at all.

It was a vast change to two years ago. Neither Noah nor Jason could keep up with Vincent. He seemed too strong, too invincible. But now? It looked like child's play to Noah. Almost as though he was tormenting Vincent, drawing out the fight just so he could prove that Vincent was no longer the top dog. Riley had never seen Noah this way before.

"I'm not done yet, you little shit."

Vincent charged towards Noah at full speed. But it didn't do much as Noah moved to the side, easily dodging his punch and kneed him in the stomach. Vincent fell to the floor on his knees, gasping for breath.

Noah pulled out the gun from his waistband, checking the barrel before cocking the weapon. He pointed it at Vincent's head.

Vincent scoffed in amusement, looking up at Noah. "You don't have the guts, boy!"

Noah stared down at him, past the barrel of the gun, displaying a calm but stoic indifference in his posture.

"I'm not like my brother."

For the first time ever, Riley witnessed fear crossing over Vincent's face. Then Bang! The gun fired, hitting Vincent in the middle of the head. His head whipped back, then he curled over on the floor, blood pooling around his head.

Vincent was dead.

Riley couldn't believe it as she stood there, shocked. A slight scream escaped her lips as her eyes transfixed on Vincent's blood spreading across the white-tiled floors as it inched further and further away from his body. Vincent was finally dead.

She didn't know what to feel as she tore her eyes away from the body and up to Noah. He stood there, calm as day, as he wiped the blood splatter from his hands on to the bottom of his shirt. He had killed a man and there was no expression in his eyes that would have told her otherwise. No inkling of remorse. Just a cold blank stare.