Clapping Campers

Some families went to the beach for vacation, others went to amusement parks. The Stewarts liked to go camping. They were experienced hikers and foragers who often visited different national parks. They would hike out into the wilderness as far as they could before setting up camp, taking joy in the challenge of really 'roughing it'. On this particular trip, they chose a sunny clearing to camp in. It was huge, covered in wildflowers and surrounded by dense forest. They set up camp and gathered firewood in record time, anxious to explore their surroundings. They'd never visited this park before.

All four members of the Stewart family had been on more hikes than they could count and never been lost, but tonight was different. As the day wore on, a thick fog and heavy clouds set in. They soon realized that they were lost. Still, they knew the best thing to do was to sit and wait it out. Wandering would only make their situation worse, and make it harder to find their way back. Mr. Stewart built a small campfire and they huddled together for warmth. When the morning came, they would be able to find their way back to camp.

It was dark when they heard the first signs that they were not alone. They listened intently to the rustling in the trees and the Mr. Stewart called out loudly,

"Who's out there?" But no one answered.They each looked around, confused. They had been certain that the sounds they heard were not from an animal.

"Maybe it's an animal." His son suggested.

"No," the mother replied, her eyes scanning the treeline, "that's definitely a person."

"Who's out there?" Mr. Stewart repeated. Again, there was no answer. The silence continued for some time but then the noise was back. This time, they were all sure it was a person. Mrs. Stewart pulled her children closer to her.

"Maybe it's someone who can't speak." the daughter offered. She considered this for a moment and called out. "If there's someone out there, can you clap? Clap once for yes and twice for no."

Clap.

The family all looked at one another. The daughter smiled. Her parents still seemed wary, wide eyes staring at each other over the heads of their children. They were too far out to simply happen on a stranger.

"Are you lost?" The mother called out. "Clap once for yes, and twice for no."

Clap.

Clap.

"Do you know the way out?" The little boy asked, standing, "we're lost."

Clap.

"Can you help us?" The daughter asked hopefully.

Clap.

Clap.

This unsettled her parents even more. The children just seemed confused. Before anyone could do anything else, the daughter spoke up again. She took a small step forward, careful to stay within the light of the fire. She lifted her chin and leaned forward, listening carefully. The night was eerily quiet. She couldn't pick out the sounds of a single bug, bird, or animal. There was only her fathers heavy breathing and the crackling of the fire.

"Are you a girl?" She asked.

Clap.

Clap.

"Are you a boy?" Her brother countered as his mother tried to shush him. She pulled her daughter back again.

Clap.

Clap.

Mr. Stewart seemed annoyed now. He stood up a little straighter, looking toward the noise. SHe picked up a heavy limb and held it like a weapon. He was suspicious this was someone messing with them, just trying to frighten the children.

"Are you even human?" He asked, knowing how they would respond. This was a prank.

Clap.

Clap.

"Daddy?" the little girl looked to her father and grabbed his hand.

"Are you going to hurt us?" The son asked quietly before anyone could stop him.

Clap.

No one moved for some time, watching the tree line. Mrs. Stewart took the branch from her husband as he traded it for a hunting knife. A twig snapped behind him, away from the clapping and he looked back with a glare. He wasn't certain that this was still a prank.

"How many of you are there?" He asked.

The clapping came from all around.