Gas Station Horror Story

Victoria had zero intentions of ending up in a horror movie. She reminded herself of that when she pulled into the dimly lit gas station parking lot. It was the perfect setting for a slasher flick. Most were well lit but this one was not. It was the kind of parking lot she imagined when she heard of people getting kidnapped. Luckily, she didn't have to pump her own gas or even get out of the car here. A printed sign on the pumps told her to wait for the attendant. She was more than happy to oblige, keeping one eye on the darkest shadows.

Soon enough, a young man made his way out to the car. He had a limp and his face was terribly scarred. He appeared to have been burned very badly but Victoria didn't ask. Even if she had, it wouldn't matter. A shiny button on his chest informed her and other customers that he could not speak very well. He seemed to understand exactly what she needed though, and got to work.

It was deeply unsettling when Victoria looked up from her phone to find the same attendant staring at her in the window. His gaze was intense and his body stiff. He hadn't tried to get her attention, only stood there... staring. He held out his hand and she jumped, grabbing her wallet and retrieving her credit card for him. He rushed back into the building to pay for her gas. Victoria took a deep breath and tried to calm her overactive imagination.

The young man wasn't gone very long when he came back, attempting to speak. Victoria wasn't sure exactly what he said but she was sure that he was trying to tell her to come inside because her card was declined. Ignoring the hair standing up on the back of her neck and down her arms, she got out of the car.

Victoria sternly reminded herself not to judge and followed him inside. The young man seemed to be getting more and more agitated. He was jittery and breathing heavily. Now Victoria knew something was wrong. Just in case, she pulled out her phone from her pocket, checking its brightly lit screen. Having it- a line to help- was soothing in some way. Then she read the notification on the front. Her credit card had not been declined at all. Every fiber in her being told her that she was in danger. Making an excuse that she was just going to use cash, she turned away. Immediately the man grabbed her arm. They struggled for a moment before she could escape.

Victoria raced to her car and jumped in, slamming the door. In her rush, her cell phone clattered away but it didn't matter. Victoria just needed to escape. She didn't even care if he kept her credit card. She would cancel it when she got away. Another man ran out of the gas station, a phone in his hand and waving his arm. They both chased Victoria, shouting and trying to stop her as she raced out of the parking lot and back onto the road. To safety, or so she thought.

She had just begun looking for her phone when she realized what had happened. But it was too late. She suddenly understood the words the scarred young man had been trying to say while they struggled. He hadn't been trying to hurt her, he had just been trying to warn her.

He had only wanted her to know that there was someone in the back seat.