Five: Stay away

The whole walk home Nate is following behind me in his truck. He was in a type of mood for no reason. He better not be pissed off about the Maddy situation.

    After a few minutes of walking I finally enter my front door. I hurry in and shut it so Nate wont come in. He bangs on the front door. I just stand there against the door for a minute letting everything set in, I lost my best friend. I let a few tears run down my face.

    "What is going on Indigo?" Hazel asks coming up the stairs. "It's fine Haze, just go back downstairs, I'll see you in a minute" I say faking a smile. She does as I say and goes downstairs. The knocking stops.

    I just slide down the door thinking that I lost everything, Nate is going to most likely break up with me and I just lost my best friend. I pull myself together and walk up stairs to my room.

    I switch the light on to find Nate sitting on my bed with his head hanging low. I jump at the sight.

    "Nate what the fuck" I say closing my door so I wont wake anyone up. "Indi i-" he starts. "Shush" I say holding a finger out. "How the hell did you get in here?" I question him. "Back door" he says quietly still looking down. "Your mom hides the key in the same spot" he informs me picking up his head and standing up.

    "What is your deal today?" I ask him. "The whole Maddy situation got to me" he says walking closer. I take a few steps back with my arms crossed. "Do you still like her" I ask quietly. "Indi, no" he says shaking his head. I don't believe it. Something resurfaced that was gone long ago. "Nate then what happened" I say letting a tear form in my eye. "I just realized how much trouble I could get you in" he tells me placing on of his hands on my arm. "What do you mean?" I ask stepping back a little farther. "I don't know Indi" he says rolling his head back and placing his hands on his face. Is he about to break up with me?

    "Then maybe you should keep your distance from me for a little till you figure some stuff out" I tell him placing my hand on the door handle. "Come on Indi" he says smacking his hand down on the table near my door. "Nate" I say quietly. "You're breaking up with me? Seriously? After all these years?" He asks raising his voice. "I'm not breaking up with you, I'm telling you that you should figure some stuff out or something" I say to him pressing my lips together.

    He just shakes his head and stands there for a second looking at me. "I guess you're right" he says pushing me out of the way to open the door. "Get the fuck out Nate!" I shout. There goes being quiet.

    The next morning I wake up not wanting to go to school. It's 8:30 so I slept in. I go over to my closet and grab orange and pink dress. I put it on and walk back into my room to get a pair of shoes, my classic air force 1's.

    I grab my bag and head out to my car

    On my way to school I saw Nate's truck parked at a little gas station. I have never seen it before so I just assume hes getting gas.

    I pull up to school a few minutes later and get out. I swing my bag around over my shoulder and head towards the front door of the school. I have never walked into school alone before.

    Before opening the front door I take a moment to breath. I open the door and walk in and attempt to ignore everyone. Once I step foot in the building all eyes turn towards me thinking that I'm with Nate right? Oh how they were wrong. After they all notice I hear gasps. Is it really hard to believe that Nate Jacobs wont have mess ups with his girlfriend? These people were pathetic.

    I walk over to my locker because I need to put away my cheer bag. I look exactly 14 lockers down to see that Nate and Maddy are talking next to his locker, great. I just try to ignore it and mind my own business. I sigh and shut my locker.

    It is now the last period of the day, good right? Wrong. Nate and I sadly have this class together, wanna know the best part? He sits right next to me. Fun. The whole class period I felt him looking at me the entire time. I am now counting down the minutes until that bell rings. It's Wednesday so I dont have cheer practice all I have to do is go down and coach the minis.

    Finally after 5 minutes of looking at that damn clock the bell rings. I don't know if I have ever jumped up from my seat so fast.

    I'm walking fast out of the class room and down the hall when I hear my name being called behind me. "Indi!" The voice shouts I just ignore it, it's obviously going to be Nate because he doesn't know how to stay away from more than a day unless something truly bad has happened.

    I reach outside when I feel a hand grab my wrist. "Fuck off!" I shout whipping myself around. "Just let me talk for a minute Indigo!" He shouts back. "What do you have to say huh?!" I question him pushing his chest, signaling him to back away from me. "Don't touch me Indi!" He shouts at me. "Like you haven't ever fucking touched me!" I yell at him. "Yeah don't say shit Nate" I boom at him. He just goes silent then gets a sad look in his face. "Oh and don't get me started on the number of party's you've grabbed me, pushed me, or hit me at" I go on again still shouting. "Double standers Nathaniel" I yell one last time before spinning around and heading towards the middle school. I don't bother to look bath I just assume hes standing there shocked since he hasn't said a word.