chapter 7: through dark and cold

There is a widening gap between the trees, and the wind knows it. The freezing air dives ruthlessly through each open space and clings to every inch of exposed skin.

The darkness swarms them, draping itself over all of the trees and swallowing the forest whole into its wide, gaping maw. As the wind and clouds tear through the sky, even the stars succumb to the blackness.

In the distance, a weak yellow light serves as their only point of reference. It blinks feebly through the storm. As they draw closer, Bokuto can make out the source - a small house with a low roof and long porch. When they reach the steps, the door slides open and a figure with dark wings calls out from inside.

"Please, come inside!"

He waves them in, sliding the door closed behind them. It's blessedly warm, and Bokuto can feel his feathers puffing up to absorb it. Akaashi pulls his cloak tighter around himself. They kneel at the table, shivering.

It's a nice, but cramped room, filled with large work tables and an assortment of dark iron tools. A small, dusty box sits on top of a shelf. Toys in various stages of creation lay scattered around the area. A half-painted kokeshi doll leans against the papier-mache beginnings of a inu-hariko dog. A stern daruma face stares at them through one painted pupil. The light of the lanterns bounces off of the tatami mats on the floor. The questions bubble up Bokuto's throat.

"I'm Bokuto! Koutarou! Who are you? Do you make toys? What's the coolest thing you've made? Could you teach me how to make it?"

The crow spirit blinks, startled. It takes him a minute to process before he responds.

"Um, I'm Asahi Azumane. Yes, I make toys sometimes. I helped make a katana, once."

"WOAH! Can you show me? I want to see!"

"Ah," Asahi scratches the back of his neck, tugging at the black string there. "I don't have it anymore."

"That's so cool!" Bokuto leans forward. "Could you teach me how to make one?"

"Oh, no, no," Asahi waves his hands in front of him, shaking his head vehemently. "I'm definitely not qualified to do that! I would just help make the materials to make the sword. And even if I could, it's been too long. I don't do that anymore."

"Oh," Bokuto feels himself deflating. "Okay."

"And who are you?" Asahi asks, turning to Akaashi.

"Akaashi Keiji. Nice to meet you," Akaashi nods.

"It's nice to meet you too."

There is quiet as they soak up the warmth. The crow spirit taps the scroll uncomfortably before speaking.

"So. You're here for the second trial, right?"

"Yeah!"

Asahi frowns, glancing at the door. The walls rattle and shake from the force of the wind. He pulls at a strand of his long brown hair, then glances down at the scroll.

"Are you sure you don't want to rest here for a while?" The crow spirit asks timidly.

"No! I want to get started as soon as possible! We have wishes to make!" Bokuto grins.

"Alright," He clears his throat before reading from the scroll. "Welcome to the second trial. For this trial, you will have to find an object hidden in the forest. You will be blindfolded, and I will not be able to help you."

He stops reading. Bokuto's eyebrows raise expectantly.

"That's all?" He asks, unsure.

"That's all," Asahi tells him.