chapter 14: the cat cavern

Bokuto isn't sure how far he makes it before he passes out. The world around him seems to blur and swirl into nothing, warping and sinking before his eyes. He doesn't even remember falling, no memory of his tabi socks catching on a stray stalagmite or seeing the ground rise to meet him.

But when he wakes, the side of his face and edges of his hands feels like they are burning, his very skin stinging like a thousand white-hot thorns.

But Bokuto is otherwise okay. He's lying on a yaedatami bed, the tatami mats soft and yielding underneath him. The air is warm and slightly damp, but not uncomfortable. The gentle coolness has permeated into the tatami fiber, setting a sweet, grassy smell drifting through the air.

Then something cool and damp presses against his cheek.

Bokuto opens his eyes to see a towel gently mopping up the grime and blood from his face, as well as familiar black hair and pointed ears.

"Kuroo!" The words come between sharp inhales of breath, Bokuto practically gasping for air. "Kuroo, you need to help me make a katana!"

Kuroo withdraws the towel and glares at him.

"No, no, we're not doing this," Kuroo frowns firmly, folding his arms over his chest. "Look at yourself, Bo. You need a break."

"I don't, I don't!" Bokuto says it as fervent as a prayer. "Just help me!"

"Look, even if I knew how to make a katana - which I DO NOT," he added assertively, preemptively pushing through Bokuto's predictable protests. "I wouldn't tell you anything until you have had something to eat."

Bokuto tries to make a show of defiantly propping himself up onto his elbows, but his arms shake under the sudden weight and he slips, slamming the back of his head against the wall. Blocks of light swim in his vision and he's overtaken by a distinct wooziness. Yet even through the blurriness, he can see Kuroo's unimpressed expression.

"Wow. Clearly you're right. You can barely sit up and yet you don't need a break. How could I ever be so foolish? You're the one who knows best here."

Bokuto holds his head up defiantly despite Kuroo's barely reserved fury.

"Now here's what's going to happen," The cat spirit continues. "I'm going to give you some food, and you are going to sit here and eat the whole thing. AND you will get a full eight hours of sleep before you leave this room."

"Oh come on!" Bokuto groans, rolling his eyes. "You're being ridiculous! I don't need to-"

"Oh, I'm sorry!" Kuroo laughs wildly, eyes burning. Bokuto flinches and shrinks back. "I wasn't aware I had opened this up for debate! I'm so glad you are sharing your valuable opinion, which has truly only steered you towards fame and good fortune! By all means, my good sir, you should be put in charge of your own health and safety, because clearly you are so much better at gauging that than I could ever be!"

The words pummel Bokuto worse than fists ever could. He curls into himself at each one, small and helpless against the onslaught.

Kuroo seems to soften in his silence. When the cat spirit finally speaks, his tone has been blunted significantly.

"Look. That was out of line. I'm sorry. I'm just..." Kuroo gives a long sigh, rubbing his temples. "I'm just worried about you, Bo! You're pushing yourself so hard! It's okay to take breaks sometimes! Everything will still be there tomorrow! Just please, please. Rest for a while. For me."

Eyes still stinging, Bokuto nods humbly. A distinct awkwardness hovers in the air between them, rolling in clouds tinged dark blue and heavy with humid regret.