chapter 11: black cat, under the ocean

Bokuto hits the ground rolling, tumbling over his shoulder, sand spraying up into his hair and on his clothes. His side aches from the impact and one of his wings is crumpled awkwardly underneath him. Akaashi lies a short distance away, rasping quick, desperate breaths.

Bokuto pushes himself to his feet and goes to help Akaashi. The boy can't even speak, leaning his weight on Bokuto without any protest.

Bokuto presses onward. The ocean roils in tall walls around them, frothing at the edges of the path. Filtered light dodges and skips across them. Bokuto's lungs feel tight, burning in his chest. The air smells like blood and salt.

Bokuto speeds up as they enter a long, low cavern. The thick stalagmites look like pointed teeth. In the distance is a door carved into the cavern wall, kept shut with a large padlock. Akaashi's wings drag on the sand behind them.

Ahead, a cat spirit has settled behind a ledge in the cave, almost like a makeshift desk. He does not smile when he sees them. Bokuto rushes up to him.

"Kuroo, Kuroo, please, you have to help us, we have to find her," Bokuto tells him breathlessly, trying to keep Akaashi upright. "Akaashi's sick, he's dying, he needs to wish to get better, I'll wish for him to get better, but please, please Kuroo, help us find the Lady of the Yellow Lake."

"Are you sure you want to do that, Bo?" Kuroo says this slowly, carefully. Bokuto wants to explode. "There's no turning back after this."

"YES!" Bokuto says, exasperated. "Yes, I'm sure! Were you not listening? I have to see her! I have to help Akaashi!"

Kuroo looks at them with an unreadable expression.

"Bokuto, I'm not kidding, this is your last chance-"

"Kuroo, what's wrong with you?" Bokuto doesn't mean to yell. He knows he will regret it later. But his throat is squeezed and the panic is churning behind his eyes. "Can't you see he's hurt? He needs help! Let me through! I have to see her!"

There is a pause. Long and dry. In the distance, the ocean roars.

"Alright," Kuroo says. "Give me the objects."

Shifting his weight, Bokuto carefully takes out the stone, the akabeko doll, and the fake yakiniku. He places them on the ledge in front of Kuroo.

Kuroo shuffles the order around. Lying on its side, the akabeko faces the yakiniku, which in turn sits next to the stone. Bokuto watches, shifting impatiently, as the three objects melt into each other to form a large iron key. He reaches out expectantly, but Kuroo holds the key away from him.

"Not so fast. You have to answer the questi-"

"I don't have time for your questions!" Bokuto snaps. At his shoulder, Akaashi stirs. "I don't know what you want me to say! I don't have time to waste! Just give me the stupid key!"

There is a swirling emotion buried deep in Kuroo's hazel eyes as he hands over the key. It flickers like candlelight despite the cat spirit's best efforts to hide it. Bokuto does not have the time to dissect what it could mean.

Bokuto inserts the key into the padlock and turns. It clicks and the padlock snaps open. Waves of heat flood out at them as the door swings inward.

And in that moment, Bokuto remembers.