chapter 16: the fox clearing

Bokuto leaves Asahi's cabin by the early afternoon. The forest, at least, has brightened up, red and orange leaves popping out of the branches excitedly, brilliant beside the faded browns and blacks of the trees.

The path is easier to follow without the encroaching darkness and whistling wind, Bokuto thinks.

But the walk feels longer alone.

The noise spits out his brain some time later, sending his consciousness rolling roughly onto the forest floor. His physical body follows suit, though that is more the fault of a thick root protruding from the ground. Bokuto spits out a leaf and brushes the dirt from his hanten jacket before trekking onwards.

Bokuto knows he's nearing his destination as he spots the paper ofuda talismans clinging wearily to the tree trunks. The bushes cluster tighter and tighter together until it almost feels like Bokuto could choke on the rubbery leaves. He shoulders his way through regardless, pushing through the branches until he bursts into the open.

The clearing has been transformed, the table from before pushed off to the side. A low tarp swoops over most of the space, shielding the space underneath. Two yaedatami beds lie on the far corner, each with its own chest to the side of it. Most of the space is taken up by a makeshift kitchen, stocked with shelves of various foodstuffs and plenty of bowls and pans.

Osamu is idly organizing the kitchen, stacking plates and labeling ingredients. Atsumu leans across the table to undoubtedly make some smarmy remark that he thinks is terribly clever. Bokuto watches as Osamu hefts one of the pans in his hands, calculating. He looks to the pan, then to Atsumu, then back again.

Before Osamu can do anything, however, Atsumu turns his head and spots the owl spirit hovering at the edge of the clearing.

"Well, well, well! If it isn't the man of the hour!" Atsumu grins widely, sharp teeth glinting. "How're ya feelin', Bokkun?"

"I'm good!" Bokuto smiles back, trotting over to the pair. "How are you guys?"

"Oh, you know," Atsumu wraps an arm around Bokuto's shoulders. "Same as always! Can't complain."

"And yet ya do it anyway," Osamu drawls, flicking his brother's forehead. "But it's nice ta see ya Bokuto."

"Are ya sure yer alright, Bokkun?" Atsumu squints at Bokuto. "Yer lookin' a bit rough around the edges. You've been able to sleep, yeah? No nightmares or nothin'?"

"Oi!" Osamu cuffs the back of Atsumu's head, scowling at his brother. "Will ya leave the poor kid alone? He looks half out of his mind already, he doesn't need your jabberin' to make it worse."

Atsumu splutters, and Bokuto can feel his arm tensing.

"I'm just askin' him questions and makin' sure he feels alright! He doesn't mind, do ya Bokkun?"

Bokuto isn't sure whether to nod or shake his head. So he just beams and returns the one-armed hug. This seems to do the trick, as Atsumu just grins smugly and Osamu rolls his eyes.

"So where're ya off to this time?" Osamu asks calmly, raising an eyebrow. "Back to the edge of the living realm?"

"Nope!" Bokuto shakes his head, still beaming. "I'm going to visit the Fox Guardian!"

Both Miyas freeze at the name, jaws dropping.

"The Fox Guardian?" Osamu parrots, eyes wide.

"Yer goin' to see Kita-san?" Atsumu perks up, voice loud next to Bokuto's ears.

Bokuto barely has time to nod before Osamu starts bustling around the kitchen.

"Well ya can't go empty-handed!" He protests, as if Bokuto had planned to. "Here, when ya visit him, make sure to bring him some fresh inarizushi. He loves that stuff. Even better if ya make some fresh for him. Makes him real happy."