chapter 8: black cat, through the mist

Fog weaves through the trees like yarn through a loom. It turns shapes into stuffy blotches and trees into dark stripes. A tall lantern swings before them, yellow glow illuminating the figure holding it. His long black tail swishes hypnotically from side to side.

"Kuroo!" Bokuto grins and runs up to his friend, proudly brandishing the akabeko. "We passed the second trial! Told you we could!"

"Is that so?" Kuroo hums in response, waving at Akaashi with the hand not holding the lantern. "All by yourselves? Without any help from a particularly mysterious and dashing friend?"

Bokuto blinks. "What?"

"Thank you for your help, Kuroo-san," Akaashi says, nodding at the cat spirit. "We couldn't have done it without you."

"Oh!" Bokuto realizes with a start. "Oh yeah, the feather! Thank you!"

"You are very welcome," Kuroo accepts their thanks angelically, only preening a little. "I had a feeling you two wouldn't want to waste any time. But there's no harm in slowing down, you know. The trials aren't going anywhere."

"Yeah, but we only have ONE left," Bokuto holds up his finger to emphasize this point. "We're so close! We might as well finish them right now!"

"Yeah, well some of us need rest, Bo. I mean, just look at Akaashi!" The boy in question squints as Kuroo swings the lantern close to his face. "The poor child looks dead on his feet. Have either of you gotten any sleep?"

"No! I'm not feeling tired!" Bokuto beams, then freezes. "Wait, are you tired, Akaashi?"

"I'm not sleepy," He offers, shrugging.

"Ah, nuances," Kuroo grins. "Well played."

"We can rest if you want to, Akaashi!" Bokuto insists, squinting at him through the mist.

"No, let's keep moving," Akaashi tells him firmly, shaking his head. "You're right, we're almost there."

"Indeed you are." The cat spirit drawls."But are you sure you want to do this? There's still time to turn back."

"Yes!" Bokuto says, exasperated. "We said that already! Geez!"

Kuroo raises his hand defensively, lantern swaying.

"I'm just making sure. It's better to be safe than sorry."

"Yeah, yeah, whatever! C'mon, Akaashi! Let's go!"

"Hey, woah there buddy," Kuroo grabs the back of Bokuto's kimono before his friend can walk off. "I still have to ask you your question."

"Uh... I answered it already?" Bokuto gives a confused laugh. "Parents and sisters, remember?"

Kuroo cackles, smiling tightly.

"Surprisingly, there's more to your memory than that, Bo."

"How would you know?" Bokuto frowns, squinting at Kuroo accusingly.

"Because I'm just cool like that. Alright, focus now." The light from the lantern makes Kuroo's eyes seem to glow. "Bokuto Koutarou, what do you remember?"

Bokuto closes his eyes, trying to focus on the blurred edges of his mind. A sensation ripples under his touch, wiggling just out of reach.

"I remember... I remember it was dark. And cold."

Bokuto's face scrunches up as he tries to hone in on the feeling. It slips out from between his fingers and squirms its way out of his arms. But he manages to grab its tail just before it dives back into the abyss.

"I was... soaked."

He remembered being chilled to the bone, feathers sopping wet and hugging himself in a futile attempt at warmth.

"Anything else?" Asks Kuroo, voice low and distant.

Bokuto grimaces as he tries to focus on the memory. But it's like pushing at a wall. He can try pounding his fists against the brick, but it will not budge.

"I can't!" Bokuto finally admits, clutching his head. "I can't do it! It's just! Blurry!"

"That's okay," Kuroo offers soothingly, but there is a distinct undercurrent of disappointment in his voice. "You did really well, Bo."

But the frustration still burns and sours in Bokuto's chest. He sulks as he watches Kuroo wave his hand over Akaashi's hood.

"If you drape your cloak over an object, it will be able to change the size of that thing," Kuroo tells them. "But it will only work if you say your name, age, and an uncomfortable truth."

"An uncomfortable truth?" Bokuto tilts his head to the side.

"You'll know it when you hear it," Kuroo winks at him, but something about it seems forced. "Now go on now, both of you. You still have one last trial to attempt."