memory: (resurfaced)

Once upon a time, nestled deep in a dark forest of bramble and thorn, there was a small town where everyone knew everyone and gossip spread like wildfire.

And in this town there lived a renowned tailor who made beautiful fabrics and silks. He was well-liked because he was occasionally commissioned by the rich and famous to make gorgeous kimonos and colorful haoris for them. He brought business to the town, allowing it to survive comfortably out in the forest.

This decorated craftsman had a wife, two daughters, and a son. The eldest child, the son, was well known around the village for his loud voice and insatiable curiosity. He often would run around the town and pester whoever was willing to talk. The townsfolk regarded him with a sort of exasperated affection, because his enthusiasm was infectious and his clumsiness endearing.

Now, every year a beautiful fortuneteller would visit their village. She asked that all of the eleven-year-olds gather in the center of town so she could tell them their fortune.

One by one, she deciphered the spirits of each child. Parents watched proudly as their children were told their fates. This year, the boy was wiggling excitedly in his spot, eager to receive his gift.

The fortuneteller took her time with each child, explaining in detail what their spirit types meant.

Then, she reached the boy.

She screamed when she saw him, covering her eyes with her slender hands. Voice shaking, she told everyone that this boy was an owl spirit. In sporadic sentences and hushed tone, she told the town about the curse of the Owl King. When the boy turned twelve, his golden eyes would bring a terrible fate upon anyone who met their gaze. If not correctly dealt with, he would be the harbinger of great death and destruction. After saying this, the fortuneteller rushed to leave, white wings trembling with fear.

The townspeople gathered to argue about what should be done about the boy. They discussed banishing him, or even executing him.

But the boy's father spoke up at this, refusing to allow his son to be killed. He promised that he personally would help ensure everyone was safe, but he would not let his boy be executed. The owl spirit's father proposed that they would keep him inside as much as they could and not allow him to look people in the eyes.

At his side, his wife vehemently agreed. To prove her devotion, the boy's mother tore the long sleeves off of her gold silk kimono and used them to blindfold her child, promising the townspeople that she would make sure he never removed it.

Satisfied with this, the citizens allowed the boy to stay.

Months passed, and a sickness ravaged the town. Deadly smallpox swept through the streets and killed many of the citizens.

The boy's father fell deathly ill, and, in order to protect her husband, his mother banished the owl spirit from the house until his father recovered.

Resentment grew towards the owl spirit as he blindly wandered through the streets. People angrily whispered that he had brought this upon them, that he was collecting the lives of their loved ones as a form of retribution, using his pitiful cries to lure their souls into the underworld. They barred him from their homes and refused to even speak to him. When he fumbled towards them, they would walk the other way. As the epidemic worsened, some of the young boys would follow the owl spirit and pelt him with rocks, laughing as he ran into obstacles in futile escape attempts.

When winter descended upon them, the streets were left mostly empty. Families crowded in their homes, keeping by the fire, taking shelter from the weather and the sickness.