[i] Two Contagious Events

[i]

...

Sophia,

Do you remember that day, when you started to suddenly take an interest in Book Club? That day when you strolled in the room, your face held high, your hand firmly clasped on your bag. You looked as determined as any individual ready to claim their position. So you where here, with a group of people that were beyond confused trying to claim your spot. They probably thought you were playing a prank on them. But then you sat down on the empty seat and dropped your bag loudly on the floor. As if to say; 'hey guys, I'm here and I'm staying.'

I hid behind the bookcase, slightly surprised to see you there myself. And I kept my eye on you, as my feet carried me to the end of the book aisle, my hand tracing each outline of the books. You looked beautifully out of place in that chair but you somehow managed to keep your ground and include yourself. You truly showed your true self that day. Do me a favour, be yourself more often.

...

I stopped dead on my feet and held on every fibre of my body so it didn't collapse on me. I couldn't shake off the irony of this story and the fact that I was on my way to Book Club. I remember that day, the first day I caved in and joined the club I yearned to be part of. Screw Marcus and watching him practice for his games. Screw siting by the sidelines and being bored. I was just wasting my time away like that.

I folded the letter twice over and shoved it inside my bag. I was at the library now, where Book Club was held. I walked inside and the group that sat at the far right table looked up immediately. A warm smile overtook their faces and I beamed right back at them.

"Hey guys," I whispered when I was in closer range. I sat on the empty seat next to Parsons, who had his small head buried inside The Forest of Hands and Teeth, our latest book interest.

Sab, the leader of this club came from out the bookshelf, surprising all of us around the table. She had her own copy of The Forest of Hands and Teeth tucked under her arm and as soon as she sat down, everyone exploded into a rapid chatter.

"Who couldn't sleep after reading this?"

"Who cried when-"

"I can't believe I read this!"

"Who even suggested this book to read?"

"I don't know about you guys, but I loved this book."

"Who else wants a Zombie apocalypse to happen right this instance?"

Everyone turned their heads to Fatima who had shouted out. After reading this book, one would be boring to not think about a zombie apocalypse.

I stuck up my hand. "I would totally kick some zombies asses."

"Yeaah," Solomon nodded his head at me and air fisted me.

Sab looked at all of us with a small smirk playing on the edge of her mouth. "Let's take a guess. Who would die first if there was a zombie apocalypse?"

"Erm before we do that, can we just clarified this fact that a zombie apocalypse can be a possible unforeseen event. Scientist have researched this and suggested that there can be a virus outbreak, or a parasite of some sorts that could contaminate the human beings brain and eventually lead to the massive destruction of twitching hands, murderous minds and eating organs." A petite girl, who's name I never actually caught spoke up, her small voice speaking softly and maturely. She surely did her research.

Sab looked at the girl with warm eyes, "thanks for the heads up Rani."

My head snapped back to the girl - Rani - and I nearly choked on empty air. She was the girl! The girl that he told me about! The one I supposedly helped after all her stuff fell to the ground! I started jumping up and down in my seat, eager to get to her and to befriend her.

"So who will survive the longest in a zombie overtake?"

Parsons shouted; "me!"

"Definitely not you Parsons."

"It would probably be Jordan."

"Or maybe Solomon but he'll need someone to use as bait."

"I think I would survive the longest, as long as I got Rani with me assuming she knows a great amount about zombies." I said, looking at the petite girl with a huge smile on my face. I saw the confusion register on her face but that didn't stop my creepy smile. Nope. Not at all.

I was going to be Rani's friend. And find out who this guy was.

***