[w] Two Injurious Promises

[w]

I sat around the bed, my head on the sheets whilst watching Stance play with me hair. His eyes were tired and the lids were lowered. I traced patterns around his fingers, careful to not touch the cannula.

"You'll be okay." I whispered. After an hour of talking, Stance told me what was wrong with him. He gave me vague answers and explanations and what hurt the most. I wanted to probe, I wanted to ask more but I felt that it would be too deep for him.

His parents were due to come in a few minutes and I knew his friends were still outside. Ellie had come in a few minutes ago and asked if we needed anything. I politely said no and soon after Stance and I were alone again.

"Yeah, I'm going to okay." Stance assured me, a small smile on his face. I closed my eyes for a few seconds, my fingers still tracing around his. His hand was still in my hair and I lost myself in his touch, consumed by the fluttery feeling that descended in my stomach.

I was far too focused on his touch that I didn't hear the slowing of his breathing.

"And then we can just hang out together." I carried on, voicing my plans.

His voice came out very low and it sounded out of breath. "Yeah," he wheezed out.

I lifted up my head and looked at him carefully. His face had paled and his eyes were closed.

"You're going to be okay," I repeated, my hand covering his. I squeezed it and Stance opened one eye for me, gazing at me.

"I'll be okay." He repeated and shut both his eyes. He motioned his head above him. I followed the direction and saw a letter addressed for me. "Read your letter," he said.

I reached for it and with shaking hands, I read it.

...

Sophia,

At the start, I made you promise me something. I don't think I can keep to my own promise. Because I'm in love. With you. I don't know how it happened or why it happened. Heck I don't even know where it happened. I just woke a day and had this urge to make you mine. But I know I couldn't do that. I fell in love with your eyes when they glint in the sunlight, your hair that would always look soft and healthy. Your eyes that would always be widened when someone angers you. Yes, I also fell in love with you as a whole. The way you handle situations and the way you showed no remorse to bullies. Yes, I saw it all. And I'm applauding you right now. I fell in love with you. Not the one you become around your friends or the one you become when you feel the need to impress someone. You're more special when you are yourself. And that's who I fell in love with. Do me a favour, don't break your promise.

...

A lump appeared in my throat and I lifted my head up slowly. He had his eyes closed whilst I was fishing for the right words to say.

I stared at him for a few seconds, waiting for the rise of his chest or the exhale out of his mouth. I waited for him to reach out for my hair. I waited for his hands to twitch under mine and I waited for him to open his eyes again.

I waited.

"Stance?" I whispered, my voice cracking.

"Stance?" I said again, this time in a much higher and panicked voice. I whirled my head to look at the heart monitoring machine and saw the line had flattened - no sign of a heartbeat.

I shook him by the shoulder, to wake him him. "Stance?" I screamed, shaking him furiously. "Fucking wake up!" I screamed.

The door of the room bursted open and Tobath came rushing in, with everyone else rushing in behind him. "What's wrong?" He asked, his eyes crossing over my face to his friend that lay on the bed. His turned pale and a sickening expression unfolded on his face.

"No. No. No." He broke out, rushing to the other side of the bed.

Someone screamed for the nurse and two came running in. One rushed to the side I was on and calmly but quickly got me off the bed. She started to perform CPR on Stance but just as she placed both hands on his chest, a low voice boomed through the room.

The doctor came strolling in, ordering the nurse to stop. The nurse, confused at the order, stopped and faced the doctor. I could see the strain to safe someone's life and obey her orders but her human morale conquered. She whirled back around to Stance and pressed both hands down his chest.

"I said don't!"

"Are you insane? He is dying!" I screamed at the doctor.

The doctor looked at me with sad eyes. "He has a do-not-resuscitate order." He told me.

My mouth dropped open at the lies that came out the doctor. "You liar! I screeched.

If he wasn't going to bring back Stance, I was. I was going to safe him and when I did, he was going to be okay. We would be okay and we'll learn more about each other.

I ran to his side, pushing away the nurse to get a clear view of his chest. But a hand circled around my waist and pulled me back, away from Stance. I looked over my shoulder and saw that Tobath was holding me back.

"Tobath?" I whispered, my lower lip trembling as tears started falling down my cheeks. Tobath's eyes were glistering and he turned me around and pressed me against his chest. "Please Tobath. He can't- he can't be gone. Please." I begged him, with my eyes, with my hands, with everything I had.

Deep inside, I knew there was nothing we could do.

I covered my mouth with my fist and dropped my head into Tobath's chest, my heart shattering into pieces.

--

a/n: sorry my loves
For all my pll fans, tonight xox wren is A
For all my game of thrones fans, fuck that show
For all my peeps, love u