chapter nine

Sanji's POV
Meeting with Zoro at the coffee shop

It was a typical day in school, writing down what the teacher told me to after listing to him yap for hours on end. Ever since I met the marimo he hasn't been able to get him out of my head. It's said if you are having continuous thoughts about a person then there is a possibility they are thinking of you as well. I hope I've been tormenting him as much as he had been torturing me.

I arrived early at the meeting place so that way he couldn't accuse me of being late like last time. The familiar bell rang, I glanced over at the table we sat at last time I grin crept on my lips, knowing that I was there before him brought a certain type of thrill.

I was planning on returning his umbrella once he got there, I didn't want to seem like an asshole for taking something and not giving it back. Besides I brought along a bright yellow umbrella this time, not like I needed his anymore.

I approached the counter, seeing that no one was behind the register. There was a small golden bell that sat off to the side, it had a note next to it that read 'ring for service' so that's what I did. It made a small ding sound and I waited a few seconds but ended up receiving no response.

I assumed they just couldn't hear it so I rang it again, this process went on for about three minutes before I heard some shuffling coming from in the back. Not him. I watched as the moss head moseyed his way to the counter. He glanced up at me with half-lidded eyes.

"What the hell, you work here?" I practically yelled, I wasn't expecting to see the green haired marimo there. Worst of all this would mean he beat me here again!

"No, I'm robbing the coffee shop." The moss headed man answered sarcastically. "Why are you here this early, did your eyebrows get in the way of your thinking?" I gritted my teeth, I just arrived and he had already was getting on my nerves.

"The rainwater did help, you're moss hair has already begun to grow to your brain, no dumbass, I'm here early to work on the project," I informed him, even though that wasn't the real reason why I got there so early.

"Hurry up and order, you're waiting up the line." I quickly spun around to see no one waiting behind me. I heard him cackle behind the counter

"How gullible." I could feel my face heating up from embarrassment. I couldn't think of any good comebacks. It was an absurd trick.

"Shut up, get me a cup of black tea." It annoyed me the way he cocked an eyebrow at me before going to get my drink. I took a seat at the table and took out my computer, figuring while I'm here I mine as well get a head start on the project.

A few minutes passed and the marimo managed to bring me my tea. I thought he would spill it on himself, the way he sluggishly made his way to the table. I couldn't tell if he was drunk or just exhausted.

"Here." He mumbled, sitting the cup of tea down on the table before making his way to his seat across from me.

"Arnt you supposed to be working?" I inquired, glancing at his light brown barista apron that wrapped around his waist, it covered up the ebony uniform underneath.

"Someone else will be here shortly to take my place, not like we have a lot of customers anyway." He retorted, we once again sat in silence not uttering a word to one another.

Minutes quickly passed, turning into half hours and half hours turning into full hours. I couldn't manage to get his act of "kindness" out of my head. The true reason he gave me his umbrella still remained a mystery.

I kept sneaking glances over my laptop at him. He appeared too focused on his writing to notice, I couldn't quite figure him out. In an attempt to sneak another look at his concentrated expression our eyes locked, before he could say anything my eyes drifted away. Crap he noticed.

"You keep glancing at me, is there something you want?" He questioned in his smooth toned voice. I wasn't sure how to respond, I needed an excuse and fast. I scanned my surrounding before my eyes landed on my empty cup.

"More tea." I lied through my teeth, in reality, I wanted an answer to my question. I heard a quiet sigh escape his lips before he stood and made his way behind the counter to refill my drink. I continued with my writing, I was only a few paragraphs from completing my portion of the assignment.

"You got a lot more written than I have." I heard his hushed voice in my ear. I hastily turned to face him, he managed to scare the life out of me.

"What the hell, don't get that close!" I snapped at him, my face burned a light crimson shade which he found amusing since I managed to get a laugh out of him.

"Look at you, you're all flustered." He chuckled, making my face heat up an extreme amount. Why was I reacting to his words? My face shouldn't be this flustered. He's mocking me.

"Be quiet asshole, I'm almost done with my portion of the project I'll finish it up later." I just wanted to get out of the situation. I felt like if I stayed here any longer my face would catch on fire. I stood from my former position and began quickly making my way towards the door, giving him no time to mock me any longer.

"Wait! What about your tea?" He asked and before I knew it I felt his hand grasp my wrist, I hastily turned around to rebuttal until I realized I was just inches away from the marimo's face.

My heart was about to tear out of my chest. The rapid thumping in my chest only became faster as time moved slowly. By the time a realized that I had made it awkward it was too late to fix my mistake. Even though I knew I needed to move I couldn't.

It was like someone was holding me there, telling me not to move. The marimo backed up after a few moments passed by. Why couldn't I move? I was stuck, frozen in place.

"Here if you're going to leave at least take the coffee." He held out the cup, it felt like I was finally able to move as I took the cup from his grasp. We were still close to each other, I couldn't help but wonder why he didn't back up further.

"Thanks, I'll take my leave now," I uttered under my breath as I turned towards the exit.

"Hold on, one more thing before you go." I turned around, confused about what he wanted. Before I knew it his face was brought closer to mine. I had plenty of time to react, yet I didn't move.

His lips gently pressed against mine, my face felt like it was lit on fire. To my surprise, his lips were soft as they touched mine. But why? Why was he kissing me, I've been an asshole to him ever since we met. It made no sense. The softness of his lips faded away after a few seconds passed. I gradually opened my eyes to see him backing away.

"They're now at least my feeling are out in the open, doubt you will return them since you're so stubborn, but I had to get that weight off my chest." He muttered, I still couldn't comprehend the situation. From the time we met back in front of the shop I thought we both had a mutual understanding that we both hated being around each other. But the way he kissed me...

"I have to go." I hurried out the door, I forgot to give him his umbrella that remained next to the seat I sat at. I rushed out the door my heart still making its rapid thumping noises. I took a moment outside the shop to gather my thoughts before popping open my umbrella. A giant boom sounded and soon after a spark of lightning streamed across the sky. For the first time since it started raining there was lightning.

To Be Continued...