46. Suzie

We're still sitting in the car. Clearing my throat, I glance over to Cruz. "So..."

He pulls his key from the ignition and looks at me. "What's up?

"Once you and I go inside, should we try to keep our distance for a bit?"

"I suppose," Cruz agrees with some reluctance, "but it should be fine to hang out together if we're in a group. Right?"

"I think so?" I chew on my lower lip. "But..."

"What?"

"What should we tell people if they start asking questions about us?"

"The truth," Cruz answers in matter-of-fact tones. "We'll tell them that my dad is marrying your aunt, so we hang out a lot now."

I gulp. "We're telling everyone... tonight?"

He grimaces. "Why not? They're gonna ask no matter what."

"You're right," I sigh. "Might as well get it over with, I guess."

I'm sick of listening to the stories our stupid classmates are making up about us, but a sixth sense tells me that letting the truth come out will only fuel more crazy rumors.

Anxiously, my fingers twirl through a strand of my hair in twitchy movements.

Cruz glances at Jonathon's front door. "Ready to head inside, baby?"

"Mm-hmm," I reply a little hesitantly, "let's go."

Once we're inside the house, the speakers are blasting music at full volume. The TV is on in the living room. There's an MMA fight on the screen. Several of Cruz's friends and teammates are lounging around a large L-shaped couch. Beer bottles and plastic red cups are scattered all over the coffee table.

They call him over right away. Jonathon shouts, "Yo, Recker! Get your fine ass over here!"

"Yeah," Aaron—I recognize him as Carly's boyfriend—chimes in, "we have a beer with your name on it!"

Cruz nods at them in acknowledgment and then turns back to me with a questioning look. He offers, "Come with me, I'll introduce you to everyone."

But I shake my head.

"No, it's okay," I say with a feigned smile. "I gotta keep some distance, remember? You go have fun with the boys."

I don't feel ready to deal with his teammates' judgy eyes and intrusive questions. Maybe later but not now.

Cruz frowns. "You sure?"

"Yep," I insist.

"I think you should co—"

I reassure him, "I'll come annoy you later."

"Promise?" he grumbles.

I nod. "Promise."

Then, I walk away before Cruz tries to change my mind again. Behind me, I hear him sigh as he heads over to join his buddies on the couch.

Feeling awkward and uncomfortable, I make my way through the house with no particular destination in mind. I start exploring, scanning the faces in the crowds to see if I know anyone else here. As I shuffle around, I spot Kiana and Keisha near one of the hallways.

The twins smirk and wave at me. I can't tell if they're being friendly or mocking me. I smile and wave back, regardless, and continue on my way.

A few seconds later, I wander into the kitchen. I swipe a water bottle from the countertop and make sure it's brand new and untampered with. Just to be safe, I'm not drinking anything but H2O from sealed bottles this evening.