49. Drinking Games

Cruz and I follow Jonathon into the living room.

A large cup, a deck of cards, and several beers are spread out on the coffee table. Nine others are gathered on the couch. I skim their faces. I recognize Carly and her boyfriend, Aaron, and Kiana and her boyfriend, Jace.

I make a point to take a seat beside Jonathon.

If Jonathon gets tipsy enough during the game, then his guard will be down, he'll be more likely to talk, and I need to be close enough to chat him up when the alcohol hits.

Once I sit down, however, there is no longer enough room on the couch for Cruz. Dismay sinks inside me.

Someone else notices, too. Right away, the pretty brunette sitting next to Kiana coos at him, "Hey, Recker, you can have my seat if you let me sit on your lap!"

I attempt not to glare at the bitch for hitting on my guy.

"Thanks, Regina, but I'm good," Cruz grunts back at the brunette.

Ah, her name is Regina.

He sits down on the floor. Disgruntlement crosses my guy's face as he steals a glimpse at Jonathon and me, but I pretend not to notice. I feel bad about ditching Cruz for Jonathon, but I'm confident he'll understand once I tell him about Brody and Suzie.

Besides, we can't act like a couple in public, so there's no reason for us to sit next to each other. No reason for me to hate on the flirty brunette. No reason for Cruz to feel threatened by Jonathon.

But it's easier to talk the talk than walk the walk.

I can't help feeling bothered by the way Regina keeps batting her eyes at my guy.

Cruz also looks grumpier than usual. His eyes keep darting towards Jonathon as though he's afraid his teammate might make a move on me.

The game begins.

Kiana goes first. She draws a six for "chicks." Only the girls drink.

Damn it.

Jonathon escaped this round.

Carly, Kiana, and Regina each take a shot of beer. I stare at my shot for a second too long, feeling anxious about putting any kind of alcohol in my system again. Then, I think of Suzie and Brody and push aside my paranoia. With a clench of determination, I force myself to swallow it down. The beer hits the back of my throat in an unpleasant way. It tastes bitter and acidic. I barely keep myself from spitting it out. Barely.

Aaron is next. He pulls out an ace. "Waterfall." Everyone has to drink, and we can't stop until Aaron stops.

I start chugging away.

At least, Jonathon is also chugging away beside me, trying to keep up with Aaron. I slow the rhythm of my gulps. I don't want to get drunk before Jonathon.

When Aaron finally sets down his shot glass, it's Regina's turn. She picks up a jack. Time for a mini-game. All of us raise up three fingers to play a round of "Never Have I Ever," and the first person to put down all three fingers must drink.

To my annoyance, Regina winks at Cruz and purrs, "Never have I ever made out with a soccer player."

Carly blushes and Kiana coughs sheepishly, and they both put down a finger.

Cruz pretends not to hear Regina, and I pretend not to care that she's flirting with my guy.

I bite back a scowl.

The beer is already making me feel lightheaded. Freer. Looser. I'm afraid I might blurt out something unnecessarily aggressive, like, "Keep your claws off my man, bitch!"