Part 1

(Before you begin, please read the Disclaimer for Trigger Warnings if you are easily triggered! Thank you!)

My eyes widened as I realized what I had done. Blood pooled out of his chest, and he stared at me. His eyes... his beautiful, charming brown eyes. The light was leaving them. Slowly, the light was leaving them, yet too quickly. "Elizabeth...." He said hoarsely, clutching where the stab wound was. He was on his back, his breathing slow. His hands turned crimson red within seconds. Even though I was the one who ended him, I could see the love and hatred contorting his features. "You're fucking crazy."

"I do what I have to, Oliver," I whispered, leaning down. I could feel the bile rising in my throat. My lips met his temple and I lingered there for a moment, listening to Oliver take some unsteady breaths. "I do what I have to..." I said to myself, fighting back tears. Sniffing, I turned around and slowly limped away, climbing into the car and leaving him there to die.

Beep, beep! And I jolted awake. I sprung up and looked around me, relieved to see that I was in my apartment. For a moment, I just sat there, letting the sweat that accumulated from my nightmare drip down my body.

My breathing slowed and became more shallow, making me a little less fidgety. "Echo!" My roommate, Emily Kornagan, called out. She knocked on my door before bursting inside. She took one look at me and her nose wrinkled. "You look horrible."

I let a short, hoarse laugh escape from my lips. "Thanks, Em." Emily's eyes crinkle up with sympathy as she drops on the bed beside me

"I'm sorry. I know college just let out for the year. We're all trying to figure out where we belong in this messed up world," Emily said, her hand briefly on my shoulder as she heaved a sigh.

Oliver's last moments played in my head.

Emily had no idea she was sitting with a murderer. A killer. The blood was on my hands, but she was too blind to see it. Oliver's face of sorrow paints an image in my mind. I wish it would go away. I wish I could stop. But I can't. Not yet at least.

"Yeah... college," I murmured.

She was right, I was still trying to figure out how I fit in this world. If I even had a right to fit into this world after everything I had done.

"Let's grab some coffee," Emily suggested, shooting me a calm smile. I nodded numbly, hoping if I nodded hard enough, the horrid memories of Oliver would fade into the back of my mind, where I hoped they would stay for a long while.

"Shower and get dressed. Love you to death, Em, but you look crazy," Emily laughed, and I managed a measly eye roll. Emily laughed some more as she exited my room. Sighing, I opened my drawer and pulled out a black crop top and gray sweatpants, the classic girl look that was perfect for any occasion.

With a deep breath, I looked at the city below me, which was beginning to blossom with business as I prepared myself for another long day.

OoOoOo! Already some mystereyryeryeyry!

Please comment your thoughts on Echo below! Dara and I hate it when nobody comments in our books, the crickets thoooo, so please take the time to do so, if you could! Thanks! XO

Love you all!

Marabeth and Dara