Part 3

Emily made small talk as we walked to our local coffee shop, Old School Cafe

Emily made small talk as we walked to our local coffee shop, Old School Cafe. The coffee there was honestly meh, a little flavorless, but the people who came into the shop were always interesting. Lots had good stories to tell.

We turned the corner on Hidden Valley Avenue and cut through an alleyway that Em and I always used as a shortcut.

My eyes surveyed my surroundings, watching the morning sun catch on a glass in an open apartment window and send a pattern of silver and rainbow specks everywhere. The smell of flowers and coffee circulated in the breeze, making me smile just a bit. It truly was a beautiful day.

Emily and I exited the alleyway and the small green and cream-colored shop came into view. "I could use some caffeine," Emily says, looking down both lengths of the road before crossing the street.

The smell of flowers had faded, and the smell of coffee and pastries filled my nostrils as I stepped inside of the cozy shop. A bell rang above the door as Emily and I walked inside, causing all the employees to look our way.

The small shop was nearly empty, with a customer or two ordering a coffee. Emily and I got in line, scrolling through our phones mindlessly until we reached the register. "Welcome to Old School Cafe. What can I get you?" The girl working the register asked, smiling a sweet smile at us.

"Yeah, can I have an iced coffee, two cream, two sugar," Emily says, pulling out cash.

"Mhm," The girl hummed sweetly, adding it to our tab. "What about you?"

"Can I get an iced chocolate almond milk shaken espresso," I requested, which was my usual. Oliver's favorite.

No. I told myself. I'm not thinking about him right now.

"Of course. Can I get your names for the cups?" The girl asks, grabbing two coffee cups and pulling out a permanent marker.

"Emily."

"Echo," I said, and then the girl nodded and said we could wait. Emily sat at a small table while I leaned against the wall.

"I love this place," Emily sighed, staring dreamily into space. I raised an eyebrow at her, then scanned the beaten-up coffee shop. "I mean, the feeling of it." I still had a doubtful look on my face, but then shrugged because she was right. Like I said before, this place is built off of its stories. People come here mainly for the stories.

Emily's phone rang meaning she had a new message. She took it out and blushed at the text. It must be her boyfriend, Simon, he was good to her, and I found myself being jealous of their relationship. But it was also a good thing Simon was good to her or I may just have taken the phrase, "Hurt her and I hurt you" seriously. And that wouldn't have been good for either of us.

"Echo and Emily!" The worker calls for us in a chirpy voice. I just don't understand why every work at every coffee shop has to sound like that! "Your order is ready!"

I get up to take the coffee while Emily pays for it all. I set her coffee down at our table, sip mine, and turn around. That was how it all went wrong. A guy about my age blocked me, making my coffee slip all over him and me. His eyes immediately alert, and I wince as the cold coffee connects with my skin. "Shit! I'm sorry!" He says, grabbing a couple of napkins to clean off his t-shirt.

The boy brushes his blonde hair out of his eyes, offering me a few already damp napkins. I literally have to bite my lip to stop from scoffing or making some bitchy remark. "Jesus!" Emily hisses, dropping to her knees beside me. The waitress who gave me the coffees hands us a bunch of napkins that I grab and take to the booth.

"I'm really sorry," The boy says, squinting his eyes.

"It's fine..." I grumbled, sighing as I viciously rubbed a napkin into my damp shirt.

"Can I buy you another coffee?" The guy offers and I let out a sigh and look up at him.

"That'd be nice, considering you spilled my coffee on me, and a bit on yourself," I say, a small smile crossing my lips without my permission. "Get me an iced chocolate almond milk shaken espresso, please."

"Fair enough," he said, turning to the counter and getting in line. A few minutes later, he slides in across from Emily and I, holding two coffees. He pushes one in my direction, and I look at it suspiciously. I raise the cup to my lips and the liquid runs smoothly over my taste-buds. Sure enough, it was the drink I requested.

"Thank you," I said, sipping some more of the coffee.

"It's the least I could do," the guy says, waving dismissively. Emily's phone dings again and she smiles.

"Simon's here to pick me up," she says, and I shrug, stepping out of the booth so Emily could gather her things and leave.

"Alright," I said. Emily hugged me briefly, waved to the guy, then ran out towards a red Toyota. I slid back into the booth and my eyes landed on the rather attractive stranger. We sat in a long awkward silence as we sipped coffees.

"I'm Grey," the guy finally says, his grayish blue eyes floating towards mine.

I hesitated a bit before answering, "Echo Davidson."

"That's a pretty name," Grey remarks, smiling a little bit.

"Thanks," I said, feeling a little more at ease with this Grey guy. I pulled my leg up onto the booth and lay my chin on my knee. "So, Grey. What brings you to the little cafe of Old Schoolers?"

"Just... trying to get away from life," Grey said after a moment, shrugging like it wasn't a big deal. But his eyes betrayed the lie.

"Well, I think you came to the right place. The people here have many interesting stories," I said, a small, teasing smile on my lips, really without my permission.

"So I've heard," Grey says, and he tilts his head at me as he sips his coffee. "Why are you here?"

"For the hell of it," I shrugged, lifting my head from my knee and briefly running my fingers over the now barely visible coffee stain on my shirt.

"So you have no plans today?" Grey inquired, raising an eyebrow.

"No..." I said, a suspicious edge in my voice. "Why?"

"Let's get our own story to tell, shall we?"

SO THE ADVENTURE BEGINS!

Comment your thoughts on everything happening so far below! And if you're enjoying what you're reading, please share this story with others!