Part 15

Okay, okay, okay

Okay, okay, okay. Don't judge me, but I followed Echo. She said she had to go home—She didn't feel well. I nodded and smiled as she talked because I wanted her to think I believed her.

But here I am, following her to a shady building in a shady neighborhood. She jolts to a stop and suddenly turns, running into a building. I keep thinking she'll spot me. But she doesn't, thank God.

You know the kind parents who tell their children "don't follow strangers into creepy buildings"? Yeah I didn't have those. So, I follow her but have to wait until she's out of the elevator. Then I follow her up, and hear her talking to what sounds like a man. A man with a very familiar voice.

I don't get a good look at his or Echo's face. "Okay," the man exhales. "Okay, I believe you."

"Thank you," I hear Echo sigh, and I squint in the room. There's a blonde girl sitting on the couch, looking between Echo and whoever the male is in the room. "Now let me have my day off, will you?"

"Why does it matter, Eliza? You don't even have a life," The blonde girl says, giggling at her own joke. Eliza? Eliza? Is she talking to Echo? Is Echo even named Echo? My head hurts from thinking so much.

"Goodbye," I hear Echo say a moment later, and I whip around and hurry towards the elevator. My heart pounds in my ears as I crash into the metal box and smash my fist upon the bottom floor button. The elevator doors closed slowly and painfully, and as Echo exited the small room, she looked at the elevator just as the doors closed. For a split second, we make eye contact. It was a half second and the doors were only open a bit, but I shuddered and the knots in my stomach intensified. Could she have known I followed her?

No time to worry, Grey. Get the hell out of here first! I reminded myself as the elevator stopped and I leapt out, listening to my shoes squeak on the old tiles as I ran towards the exit. A moment later, I shove the doors open and the chilly night air hits me in the face, quite a contrast to the stale, old air of inside this building, I must say.

"Elizabeth, wait up!" I hear a voice yell inside, causing me to leap behind a bush. Echo—if that even is her real name—walks out of the building, my jacket still heavy around her small shoulders, and the blonde girl from inside follows her.

"What is it, Diana?" Echo demands, and for once, her soft voice is hard and cold. It scared me to hear her like that.

"I'm sorry about Eric. You know how he is...." The blonde girl who now has a name—Diana—said. She flashes Echo a tight-lipped smile and Echo sighs.

"It's fine, Diana," Echo said, shivering.

"I'll make sure he isn't so hard on you, okay?" Diana offers. For a split second, I feel like I'm watching a movie. A movie where the main character is about to trust the bad guy—I want to scream at Echo to stop, but I bite my tongue.

"Thanks..." Echo said sheepishly, brushing her hair behind her ears gingerly. Diana leans in and gingerly hugs Echo. Echo looked surprised, then a bit uncomfortable. For a moment, I believe that Diana is just trying to make Echo feel better, but, behind Echo's back, Diana drops a small device into her purse.

Echo pulled away and coughed. "Anyway, I better get home. Goodnight, Diana," She said after a moment, and Diana said a cheery goodbye.

I silently held my breath as Echo drove out of the parking lot, praying she wouldn't notice my car. But, guess luck was on my side today, because she didn't.

Diana walked from the parking lot to the front door and just as she reached for the door handle, a tall guy—maybe a few years older than me—stepped out.

The guy turned to the light and I saw his face.

My blood ran cold and I could feel the color drain from my face.

Holy shit.

"Keep an eye on Elizabeth, Diana," He said in a deep, cocky voice. The guy—Eric Bateman—pulled out a cigarette and cupped the bottom of it in his hand as he lit a lighter. As he pulled away, he took a puff of the cigarette and sighed, causing a bit of smoke to blow my way. I resisted the urge to cough.

"Already on it," Diana said as Eric held out the cigarette towards her. She took it and held it between her teeth for a moment before inhaling it's deadly fumes and then exhaling the smoke into the world.

I began to slowly back away, realizing how much danger I was actually in. But, one misstep and snap. A twig broke under my feet and Eric and Diana's heads snapped towards me.

 A twig broke under my feet and Eric and Diana's heads snapped towards me

O-o

Do you think Grey had a right to follow Echo or not? Comment below!