Part 2

The day was bright and the faint smell of some sort of flowers—I think it's roses—filled my nose

Usually, I don't notice little things like these, but I did today. Something in me said today would be a good day, which was a bit unusual. My days would usually suck, due to my parents always fighting and all of my toxic "friends". But... today just felt different. It was strange.

But I decided I might as well take the feeling and run with it.

I did my usual morning routine, seeming to have more energy than usual. And as I stepped out of the bathroom, steam from my hot shower pouring out behind me, I smiled just a little bit.

Okay, it was a half-smile, but it was a start.

The small smile still on my face, I walked downstairs to hear my parents talking in tense voices. I walked into the room and Mom and Dad stared at me. Without my parents even talking, I knew that the tension was thick and unbearable. The smile fell from my lips, and I gulped. "Hi, Grey," Mom said, shooting me a tight-lipped smile. "Did you sleep well?"

"Alright," I said, slowly slipping into a seat on the island. "Is everything okay?" I asked after a moment of uncomfortable silence.

Dad sighs and runs a hand across his tired face. "Why don't you brew some coffee, Grey?" He suggests, motioning to the small coffee machine that was tucked into a small corner of the kitchen.

This wasn't good—no—this was horrible. I'm guessing my parents want to have a talk with me. This was bound to go terribly.

I gulp once more as I stand, doing what Dad asked and go to pour myself a cup of hot coffee. I was definitely going to have to be well caffeinated for this conversation.

"So..." I begin, because it doesn't look like they were in a hurry. "What's up?"

Dad heaves a heavy sigh, and looks up at me with deep, amber eyes. He's tired, I can tell. "Your mom and I were thinking..." Dad said, scratching the back of his neck, "Maybe it would be best for us to split. I mean... with Derek in Alaska and you getting ready to move out, your mom and I thought it would be a good time to do this." Dad finishes, giving me a second to soak all that up.

I wasn't surprised. I shouldn't be surprised. The way they fought all day, something like this was bound to happen. But still, a lump catches in my throat and all I can say is; "Oh."

Mom grabs my hand, a pained expression on her face, yet says nothing. Just... looks at me. "Oh." I say a bit louder this time. Then, I bite my lip and look at my coffee. My face reflects off the dark liquid. I have dirty blonde hair, and gunmetal blue eyes. I look like my dad, with his long face and chiseled jawline. But, at this moment, I only saw my blank expression.

I felt the heat rise through my body like a wave and I could feel the pain of what they just told me finally kick in.

"I know this isn't convenient, Grey—" Mom starts, but I yank my hand from hers and try my best not to show any more emotion.

"It's fine," I say calmly. "You act like I didn't expect any of this"—I gesture around the room—"You're right. I'm an adult. I don't need this." I can see tears pooling in the corners of my mother's eyes, but I refuse to see that. I refuse to feel sorry for what I said.

I refuse.

Without another word, I slip into some sandals and grab a coat, walking out the door and into the warm summer air.

Okay, but Grey is kinda cute--

Haha, hope you enjoyed meeting our other main character, Grey! Remember to vote and comment your thoughts!