CHAPTER FIVE

I am cool, calm, and utterly collected as I step up to my ex-classmates' booth

"Sorry for the wait." I turn to Dan with a bright smile. "What can I get for you guys tonight?"

"Fish and chips..." he says gruffly. "The cod. With a Coke." His eyes look bloodshot, and he crosses his arms over his chest and leans back, looking bored. There's a faint hint of weed emanating from the booth.

"We have Pepsi. Is that okay?"

He shrugs. "Sure."

I turn my smile on Shannon and make it as genuine as I can.

She's staring at me with a little smirk on her stupid perfect face, and there's a nasty glint in her brown eyes.

My stomach turns, but my smile doesn't fade. "And for you?"

"Oh, I'll have what Dan's having... uh... Erica." Her smirk deepens, and her eyes look positively wicked. "Erica is your name, right?"

My smile is starting to hurt my cheeks. "Lyric, actually."

"Sorry, what did you say, Erica?" She leans toward me, cupping her hand over her ear. "It's so loud in here."

Wow. She damn well knows my name! We were in school together since kindergarten. Kindergarten! There were less than a hundred kids in our whole grade. I'm not taking her bait again.

I clear my throat. "You'd like a Pepsi, as well, with your fish and chips?"

She wrinkles her nose. "Um... didn't I just say that I'll have what he's having?"

I nod my head, still smiling, and write it down.

"Erica... Oh!" Shannon sits up straight. "I knew I recognized you from somewhere. You went to our school, right?"

My whole body goes cold, and against my will, my smile fades. She's doing this then.

"I did." I try to turn my attention to Jason and Amanda, but she doesn't let up.

"Funny." Shannon lets out a feminine giggle. "I didn't even notice you'd left. Did you guys notice?"

Dan looks like he's just stoned and ignoring her. Amanda shrugs, and Jason is studying the menu, chewing on his full lower lip.

My muscles are tense, and I'm dying to run away, but I force myself to stay put. I will get through this. I will.

I resolutely turn toward Amanda and Jason on the other side of the booth.

"What can I get for you guys?"

"Just fries, please." Amanda pauses, then looks up at me with her giant deep blue eyes and way-too-long lashes. "And... a chocolate milkshake. You have those, right?"

"Yes, we do." My smile's back.

I'm not gonna give Shannon the satisfaction of getting to me. She needs to grow the hell up. We're not in high school anymore.