CHAPTER FORTY-FIVE

We've reached the end of the road, and we're surrounded by Redwoods

As the falcon doors swing open, my heart jumps in my chest and settles into a crazy nervous rhythm.

"Good luck." Ethan offers me a small, encouraging smile from the driver's seat.

"Thanks," I murmur as I hop out and sling my new backpack over both shoulders.

Chloe's got the trunk open, so I stand there awkwardly, unsure what to do next.

"Here. Oof." She pulls a suitcase from the trunk and drops it to the pavement. "This is also yours."

I feel my face flush. "What...? Mine?"

"Yeah, it's yours."

It's a medium-sized hard-shell turquoise suitcase with chrome trim. Really cute, honestly. And... if it's really mine, it'll be the first suitcase I've ever owned. My eyes are really starting to sting. Might even be watering a bit.

"I ordered some clothes for you while you were at orientation. I hope they fit. There's also some toiletries... and a few other small things."

"Thank you. Really. You didn't have to do that." I let out a breath and pick up the suitcase. It weighs a ton.

"Come along." Chloe leads me around the other side of the car.

There's a dirt path winding between two enormous Redwoods here, and a short wooden sign that reads "Grove of Wisdom."

"Follow the path right here. You're in Building A, Room 12."

Anxiety floods me at the thought of whatever's to come. Wait... What room did she say? My ADHD is already reminding me how bad I am at remembering stuff.

"What was the room? I'm gonna forget... I need to write it—"

"It's okay." Chloe puts a hand on my shoulder and looks into my eyes. "The key in your bag says A-12 right on it."

I nod my head and swallow.

"Don't worry. You've got this."

I guess I look afraid. And I am. About everything!

I lick my dry lips. "What about Cerberus...? What about what happened this morning? What about... my house, all the debris and... everything I left behind. Doesn't someone have to clean that up? And the police... they'll ask where I am. And my co-workers... And, and..."

"One thing at a time," Chloe says soothingly. "According to our intel, you don't have any living relatives... right? Would anyone outside your town be looking for you?"

"My mom was... No. I don't think anyone else would be looking..."

"Alright. Then that's all been taken care of already."

"How? What do you mean?"

"Your house burned down, but you were safe. And then you moved to another town. That's all anyone will remember about this."