CHAPTER FORTY-FOUR

Chloe and Ethan exchange one of their famous veiled looks, and my stomach turns

"Well, you did cause a lot of damage," Ethan says sternly.

"You blew out the glass in every window and the dome. And the entire structure is now glowing purple. The clean-up crew has a big job ahead of them."

"So what's my punishment?" My voice cracks.

"We don't know about that yet," Chloe says, worry in her eyes. "It'll be weeks before the Society finishes with all their meetings and questions and decisions. You got a lot of people's attention today."

I gulp. That doesn't sound great. "So... are you two here to take me to Guardian jail or something while we wait?"

"Nope!" Chloe shakes her head. "We're taking you to your temporary lodging. You are going to train for the Entrance Trials. And you're going to pass them. I'm sure of it."

"Jeez, why didn't you say that first?" Hope alights in my chest, but I don't trust it. "But... after everything I did... ArchGuardian Visconti is still letting me—"

"Oh, she was ready to hand you over to Dubois when she saw that building," Ethan says. "He was in the hall with his whole team, waiting for you to wake up. But then... the chancellor changed her mind."

"Because... you two convinced her to let me stay?"

"Ah-well," Chloe reddens. "We did stand up for you... but I don't think we changed her mind. I think you may have Mr. Westgard to thank for that."

Now my cheeks are red. "Oh?"

She nods. "Caelum was at the hospital too, for a few hours, just being monitored. The chancellor came to check in on him, and when she came out of his room, she ordered Dubois and team to leave the base and told us you would be permitted to participate in the Entrance Trials. Ten minutes later, Ferrero was here dropping off the key to your room."

Ethan's nodding along with her story, but they both look as confused as I'm feeling about the chancellor's decision. What did Caelum say to her?

Chloe reaches under her seat and pulls out her giant purse. "We do have some questions for you... about everything that happened. I want to get your statement. Just let me grab my tablet."

"My memory's all... jumbled."

"Let's just start with a few questions." Chloe switches her tablet on. "How did you connect with the Aether?"

"I don't know. Honestly. It was like... humming or something, and it just got louder and louder. And then... I was connected to it. I think."

"Okay... Well, how did you manage to do that thing... where you used the Aether to destroy the ArchGuardian's severance sigil?"

"What? What thing? What sigil?" I comb my brain, trying to remember, but... what is she talking about?

"The chancellor's sigil."