CHAPTER SIX

"Time to go!" FAE's voice pipes up over the looping song, startling me.

Has so much time passed already?

I frown at myself in the full-length mirror, scrubbing at my cheeks. I look like a hooker with all this eye makeup on. I gotta wash it off... again. But first, I need to fix my misbehaving hair. I had the delusional idea that if I let it air-dry, I'd somehow get smooth auburn curls. What I ended up with was the predictable suggestion of curls plus a good amount and frizz and flyaways. Maybe I should do a ponytail... or a bun.

"Lyric. You must leave now," FAE says. The volume of the music drops another notch.

Ahh! I need more time!

I'm so damn ADHD. I dab at the sweat on my brow and whirl around, staring at the orange bottle on my bed. I need another dose, but I gotta save them for training.

I wish there were more!

The music cuts out abruptly.

"Lyric," FAE says insistently. "You asked me to tell you when it was time to go."

"Okay, okay." I give myself one more look. My flowy blue-green dress matches my eyes, so that's one point in its favor. It's all downhill from there. The dress stops mid-thigh, revealing my long chicken legs, and it dips too low in the front, showing off my utter lack of cleavage.

Too bad, so sad. Is there any way to improve this?

"You are now in danger of being late," FAE says.

"Ahh!" I haul all my junk into the wooden chest, and right as I'm about to lock it, I remember my necklace. The silver moon and chain will match my shoes and purse.

I fumble through my backpack to find it, and as I lift it up, the clear orb—and the crescent moon hugging it—spin in circles.

The iridescent specks inside the orb catch the light, sparkling.

Ugh. The clasp is broken. How did I break the clasp?

I drop the necklace back into the trunk and sink to floor, my hands over my churning stomach. Oh my God, I'm so nervous. I don't wanna go.

"Can't I just stay here?"

"I assume that's a rhetorical question," FAE answers crisply.

"Fine." I slam the chest shut and swipe my keycard across it. The bronze disc blinks green, and I check to make sure it's really locked. Then I drop my keycard into my wristlet and let out a loud breath. "Okay. I'm ready."

"You are now running three minutes behind schedule," FAE says disapprovingly.

I get moving and finally make it out the door, but once I'm on the platform, I don't know where to go.

I dart a glance around, my panic rising.

How do I call the elevator? There are no boxes or buttons in sight.