Chapter 5

'Okay, I'll see you at dinner then.' Draco heard Ron say.
'Yeah sure.'
Draco turned to look around the corner and saw Ron pulling Hermione into a kiss. Draco turned back and leaned against the wall next to him, a frown settling down upon his forehead. Why was she kissing him? And why was it bothering him so much? It took Hermione a moment or two to walk away and turn the corner where Draco had been waiting for her.
'You didn't have to wait.' she told him when she noticed him leaning against the wall.
'No I didn't.' Draco said coldly, pushing himself away from the wall and starting to walk off. Hermione raised her eyebrows before starting to catch up with his fast pace.
'It seemed like you and Weasley were on good terms again.' Draco said, looking straight ahead of him.
'Uh-' Hermione started.
'Just- never mind.' Draco cut her off, walking up a set of stairs.
'What's gotten into you all of a sudden Malfoy?' Hermione asked, pulling on his sleeve to stop him.
'Nothing.' Draco huffed, pulling his arm back and walking further up the stairs.
'Whatever.' Hermione sighed irritated.
'I don't get you, this morning you were looking scared as shit to even sit at breakfast with him and now you're snogging his face off.' Draco snapped as the portrait came into view.
'Time Turner.' Draco said.
The portrait opened and they made their way into the common room.
'What's wrong with you?' Hermione said angrily, stopping in her track and staring at the back of Draco's head as she placed her backpack behind the couch.
Draco turned around to face her and scowled. 'What's wrong with me?'
'Do you think I liked it? He hurt me only a few hours ago for Merlin's sake! I was scared he'd do the same Draco!' she half-yelled at him, anger clearly written all over her face.
Draco raised his eyebrows as she stared at her. 'You- you called me Draco.' he stated.
'No, I didn't!' Hermione said, shaking her head.
'Yes you did.' Draco stated, half-smirking now.
'No I did not!' she told him sternly before quickly walking off to her room where she closed the door when she had entered with a loud "bang". Draco stared at the closed door with a grin. 'She called me Draco.' he said to himself as he walked towards the armchair and sat himself down in front of the fireplace.

Hermione leaned her back against the door she just closed and tried to replay the conversation they had just had, only to realise she actually did call him Draco. What the hell was happening? She never called him Draco, how come she called him Draco instead of Malfoy? And why did he react the way he did? It's none of his business who she kisses! Hermione stepped over to her bed and let herself fall back on it, staring up at the ceiling. The kiss Ron had given her would normally have given her butterflies in her stomach, but there were no butterflies anymore. She didn't feel a thing for that matter. Had she fallen out of love with Ron? Did he feel that coming when he reacted the way he did the previous night? She stayed there, lying still on her bed, for a few minutes before she got up and was aiming to grab her backpack to take out her books to get some homework done, but she realised she had left her books in the common room. Hermione sighed, knowing she'd have to face Draco to grab them and she did really need them. She groaned before slowly opening her bedroomdoor and sneaking out of her room. She walked to the place she had put her backpack down but it wasn't there anymore.
'I placed it on the table.' Draco said from his armchair in front of the fire.
Hermione looked up at him and saw he was doing his own homework. She stepped towards the table and grabbed her backpack before turning around and walking back to her room.
'You're welcome.' Draco spoke up.
Hermione rolled her eyes and closed the door behind her once again. She sat down behind her desk and opened her backpack, taking her books, writing tools and parchment out of it before starting on her homework of the day. After a few hours of silence someone knocked on her door. 'Yes?'
Hermione looked up at the door and saw Draco opening it before leaning against the doorframe.
'Hey, your room looks the same as mine.' he stated, looking around her bedroom.
She raised her eyebrows before turning back to her book that was opened on page 122.
'Are you coming?' Draco asked. 'To get some dinner.'
Hermione looked up at the clock on the wall and saw dinner had already started. 'Shoot!' Hermione exclaimed, getting up from the chair. She quickly passed Draco and walked to the portrait hole as she heard Draco coming up behind her. He fastened his step to catch up with her and walked alongside her down the sets of stairs.
'We've got to walk around the castle again tonight.' Draco told her.
Hermione nodded, keeping her eyes trained in front of her. They reached the Great Hall and she quickly walked towards the Gryffindor table without saying anything to Draco. She sat down next to Ron and got herself some dinner from the plates in the middle of the table.
'You're late.' Ron said.
'I was doing homework and I forgot the time.' Hermione said.
'Such a surprise.' Harry laughed.
Hermione gave him a smile as she took a fork full of mashed potatoes and took a bite. She looked up at the Slytherin table and saw Draco laughing about something before he looked up and locked eyes with her. Hermione quickly turned her eyes away and slowly shook her head. She was still mad at him, even though she didn't really know why. Draco Malfoy didn't care about others, but he loved other people's business.
'Good night.' she told her friends after they had finished dinner and had made their way out of the Great Hall.
'Good night.' the three of them said, only for Ron to step forward to give her a kiss.
Hermione gave him a small smile before walking up to the seventh floor where she told Snape the password and walked into the common room. She sat down in one of the armchairs and started to stare out in front of her at the fire. It took Draco a few more minutes to return from dinner after Hermione had arrived there.
'Hey.' he greeted as he sat down in the other armchair next to her. Hermione didn't respond and just kept staring at the fire. She stayed there for a while before she got up to get her book and sat back down to read until Draco interrupted her reading-session at 11 PM.
'Ready to go?' Draco asked.
Hermione sighed, nodded and got up, placing her book down on her seat. She made her way out of the common room, hearing Draco fastening his step as he tried to catch up with her.
'Lumos.' Hermione muttered after having pulled her wand out of her cloak pocket.
They walked through the corridors in silence for a while, their wands pointed out in front of them with the tips lit up.
'Uh- Hermione?' Draco started.
Hermione raised her eyebrows, glancing at him sideways. He never called her Hermione. During their first six schoolyears she'd be referenced to by "filthy mudblood", and lately it was just "Granger", but still no Hermione, up until now.
'Yes?'
'I uh- I wanted to tell you- I wanted to say- I'm sorry.' Draco said.
Hermione's jaw dropped and it took her a while to recover herself. Was this some crazy dream? Draco Malfoy never apologized to anyone! Certainly not her.
'It's uh- it's okay.' Hermione answered.
Draco let out a sigh of relieve, making a small smile play on the corners of Hermione's lips. 'You know what Malfoy?' Hermione said.
'What?' he asked, turning to look at her.
'That must've been two of the strangest things I've heard you say and that in one night.' Hermione said.
'What?' Draco asked confused.
'First you call me Hermione and then you tell me you're sorry.' Hermione stated.
He smiled, looking down at the ground that spread out in front of them.
'It's a good thing though. A good strange.' Hermione smiled, staring at the side of his face.
He looked up and gave her a gentle, playful push against the arm.
'What?' Hermione chuckled.
'You're weird.' Draco laughed, but quickly stopped in his track and fell silent.
'What are-' Hermione started.
'Sssh, do you hear that too?' Draco whispered.
Hermione kept quiet as she tried to hear what Draco had been talking about. She looked up at him and nodded before pointing in the direction where she had heard the sound come from. Draco nodded before they both slowly walked towards the place. They passed the next corner and were face to face with a Slytherin boy and Ravenclaw girl, who were busy snogging each other's faces of on a bench.
'Look what we've got here Hermione.' Draco said, crossing his arms in front of his chest.
'I see two students who are supposed to be in their own bed.' Hermione said, looking at the boy before her eyes darted to the girl.
'You're lucky I'm in a good mood tonight, go back to your own house's dormitory and don't let his happen again.' Draco said.
Both students quickly nodded before running off. Hermione waited for the students to be out of sight before turning to Draco and starting to laugh.
'Did you see their faces?' she chuckled.
'Hilarious.' Draco nodded laughing.
'Come, we've got to finish our rounds.' Hermione grinned.
Draco nodded and started to walk again. They didn't catch another student throughout their rounds and made their way back to their common room. When they were back inside Hermione made her way over to the armchair and grabbed her book.
'That was funny.' Draco said.
'It sure was.' Hermione smiled.
Hermione turned around to look at him and caught him staring at her.
'What?' she asked, running her fingers through her hair.
'Nothing.' Draco shrugged with a small smile.
Hermione rolled her eyes, a chuckle escaping her lips, and walked towards her bedroom. She opened the door, but before she walked into her room she turned around to face Draco.
'Good night Draco.' she smiled, before turning back around and step into her room. Before she completely closed her door she heard a quiet "Good night Hermione." coming from the common room.