Chapter 8

Harry and Ginny walked through the corridors, their fingers interlocked, to the Hospital Wing to visit Hermione. 'What if she isn't getting better?' Ginny asked.
'Don't worry, she'll be okay.' Harry told her, looking down at Ginny, who looked overly concerned. She had been yelling at Ron for minutes on end the day before after they had left McGonagall's office. Why had he done this? He had been acting strange ever since they had arrived back at Hogwarts, but what was the cause of this strange behaviour?
'Are you sure?' Ginny asked.
'Yes, I promise.'
Ginny and Harry walked through the door of the Hospital Wing, only to see Hermione lying with her head on Draco Malfoy's bed, seeming to be fast asleep.
'What is she doing?' Ginny frowned, looking at their best friend.
'I don't know.' Harry shrugged, walking over to Hermione, trying to see if she was awake yes or no, which didn't seem to be the case.
'She fell asleep.' Harry said, straightening his back.
'Do you see that?'
'What?'
'She's holding his hand.'
'Are you sure?'
'Yes, look.' Ginny said, pointing at Hermione and Draco's hands.
'What, why?'
'How can I know? I wasn't here when she took a hold on his hand!' Ginny said. 'I have a strange feeling about this to be completely honest with you.' Ginny said.
Harry nodded, looking back at this best friend. 'I think we'd better go and leave her be.'
'I think so too.' Ginny nodded, taking Harry's hand and pulling him away from the bed.

Hermione had fallen asleep next to Draco and was abruptly woken up by a hand shaking her shoulder. She quickly lifted her head up, only to see Harry standing next to her.
'Oh, hey.' Hermione smiled faintly, still half asleep.
Harry looked down at her, sadness clear in his eyes. 'Hermione.' he sighed. 'I have to tell you something.'
'What's wrong?' Hermione asked, furrowing her eyebrows.
'Well- How am I going to tell you this.' Harry groaned softly.
'Did something happen?'
'Draco-'
'What? Something wrong with Draco?' Hermione asked.
'He died.' Harry said.
'That's not funny Harry!' Hermione exclaimed.
'I'm not joking, I wish I was, he died just an hour ago.' Harry told her softly.
Hermione felt tears prickle in her eyes as she shook her head.
'That's not true, he's lying right here.' Hermione said, turning to face an empty bed. 'Where is he?' she whispered.
'He has been sent home, so his parents take care of the rest and prepare his body for the funeral.' Harry said.
'No, no, this can't be true.' Hermione muttered, shaking her head as tears rapidly rolled down her cheeks.
'It is true, I'm sorry Hermione.' Harry said, wrapping his arm around Hermione's shoulder and pressing her closer to him. Hermione jerked her head up, hearing a loud bang when the doors of the Hospital Wing collided with the stone walls.
'Have you already told her the good news?' she heard Ron ask.
Hermione got up from her seat and stepped around Harry. 'What are you doing here?'
'I've just told her.' Harry told him.
'What are you doing here? This is your fault!' Hermione yelled at Ron.
'Oh no Hermione, it's your fault.' Ron grinned.
Hermione gasped, widening her eyes as she stared at Ron with disbelieve. What did he just say? But before she could even process, Pansy ran into the Hospital Wing from behind Ron and came up to her. Harry stepped aside and before she knew it Pansy's palm loudly collided with Hermione's cheek.

Hermione quickly lifted her head up, panting heavily and brushing her hair out of her face as she manically looked around her. A sigh of relief left her lips when she saw Draco lying in front of her. She placed her index and middle finger on the side of his neck to feel for a heartbeat and another sigh of relief escaped her mouth when she started to feel the rhythm of his heartbeat. He wasn't dead, it was just an awful nightmare. She took in a deep breath, trying to calm down as she talked some sense into herself. She slightly squeezed her hand shut, but felt she was still holding Draco's. She turned her gaze to his face and bit down on her lip. 'Just wake up Draco, please.' she said softly, looking away from him, only to quickly look back when she felt Draco's hand give hers a soft squeeze. She frowned, thinking she must've imagined it, but then Draco slowly opened his eyes.
'Whe-where am I?' he asked quietly.
'You're in the Hospital Wing.' Hermione said.
His eyes darted to Hermione's face and a frown settled down upon his forehead. 'Did you stay here?' he asked.
Hermione nodded. 'I had to stay the night as well and the next morning Madam Pomfrey told me I didn't have to go to class, so I stayed here with you. I figured it'd be nice for you to have someone around when you'd wake up.'
'Thank you.' Draco said, giving her a small smile.
'That's the least I can do, you've been there for me when I needed someone.'
'I see Mr. Malfoy has woken up.' Madam Pomfrey said all of a sudden behind Hermione.
'Just a minute ago.' Hermione nodded, glancing over her shoulder.
'I want you to stay here so I can keep a close eye on you.' Madam Pomfrey informed him after examining him for a few minutes.
Draco nodded, only to widen his eyes a moment later, seeming to realise something. 'What?' Hermione asked from her seat next to his bed.
'I can't stay, I have to help plan and do stuff for the masquerade ball.' Draco said.
'Seriously? That's what you're thinking of? I'll take care of that, don't worry.' Hermione told him with a small smile.
Draco frowned at her. 'You need to rest.' Hermione told him.
'You'll have to listen to her if you want to be able to attend the masquerade ball.' Madam Pomfrey told him sternly.
'Alright, alright.' Draco said. 'But you,' Draco started, turning to look at Hermione. 'have to promise to visit me and tell me about the progress.'
'Naturally.' Hermione nodded. 'I'll visit as often as possible.'
'That's very much appreciated.' Draco grinned.
'Do you want something?'
'No thanks, I'm not hungry.'
'You've got to eat something.'
Draco just wanted to open his mouth to say something, but Hermione started shaking her head.
'No, I'll be right back.' she said, getting up from her seat and before Draco could grab her wrist she was already walking away. 'Hermione.' he called after her, but she didn't listen. Hermione returned a few minutes later, a bowl clasped in her hands. 'I've gotten you soup.' she told him, sitting down in the seat next to his bed.
'I'm not hungry.' Draco told her once again.
'I don't care, you've got to eat something.' she said as she wanted to hand the bowl to Draco, but he shook his head, crossing his arms in front of his chest.
'Seriously Draco? How old are you?' Hermione asked, rolling her eyes.
'Old enough to decide whether I want to eat something yes or no.'
'I don't think so, so take the bowl and don't be such a baby.' Hermione told him, but Draco didn't even move a finger. 'Alright then, if you don't eat, I'll have to stay away from the Hospital Wing.' Hermione shrugged, placing the bowl on the nightstand.
'That's not fair.'
'Take the bowl and eat then.' Hermione said, nodding her head in the direction of the bowl. Draco rolled his eyes at the blackmailing before grabbing the bowl and taking a sip of his soup. 'Good boy.' Hermione said, patting his arm, receiving an eye roll from Draco.
'You weren't playing a fair game.' Draco remarked.
'I wasn't saying I did.' Hermione grinned.
'Miss Granger? I think it's time for Mr. Malfoy to get some sleep.' Madam Pomfrey said, walking up to the two students.
'Alright, I'll see you tomorrow.' Hermione said, getting up from her chair.
Draco nodded. 'See you tomorrow.'
Hermione gave him a small smile before saying goodbye to Madam Pomfrey and making her way out of the Hospital Wing.