Chapter 18

Hermione had seated herself in the armchair in front of the fireplace. She had just arrived back from breakfast, where Ginny had been staring at her the whole time with a broad grin on her face. The day before passed Hermione's thoughts as she stared down at the letters in her book. They had a great time together and she was glad Draco had turned in such a great person. She was snapped away from her thoughts when she saw something move from the corner of her eye. She turned her gaze to the wall and saw a big spider walk up the wall. 'Oh hell no!' Hermione groaned, staring up at the spider. She got up from the armchair and pulled a chair over to the wall. She took a glass and a piece of paper before stepping onto the chair. She tried to reach the spider with the glass, but it was too high for her reach. She jumped a few times, trying to reach it, but it didn't work.
'What are you doing?' someone asked, startling her. She quickly turned to look behind her, only to see Draco staring up at her.
'There's a spider and I wanted to catch it, but I can't reach it.' she said.
'Come off that chair before you hurt yourself.' Draco chuckled, stepping towards her.
'Can you catch it? You're taller than me.' she said.
'I can, now please just get down.' Draco said.
'Yes, yes.' Hermione muttered, but just as she wanted to step off her foot slipped and she fell off the chair. It was a good thing that Draco had stepped closer to her because he could quickly catch her before she'd hit the floor. Hermione felt his arm on her back and one under her knees, her arms wrapped around his neck.
'Merlin's beard! You scared the hell out of me.' Draco exclaimed. Hermione could feel Draco's rapid heartbeat on the side of her body. 'Sorry.' she said.
'Don't step on a chair again when I'm not around, please. We don't want you to break something, now do we?' Draco chuckled.
'I can't make promises like that.' Hermione laughed. 'Er- thank you for catching me.'
'Oh yes, of course.' Draco said, quickly putting Hermione down.
Hermione looked up at the wall and saw the spider fall down to the floor, quickly moving towards them.
'Oh shit!' Hermione yelled, jumping behind Draco and tightly holding onto him.
'The girl who faced many dangerous situations is scared of a little spider.' Draco laughed.
'That is NOT a little spider! That thing is massive!' she exclaimed.
'Sure thing, but if you want me to catch it, you'll have to let go of me.' Draco chuckled.
'Oh, er- right.' Hermione muttered, letting go of his arm. She stepped away from him and stared down at the spider as Draco approached it. 'Don't kill it!' Hermione said. 'Free it somewhere other than here.'
'Where do you want me to set it free? The windows here aren't real.' Draco stated, taking the glass Hermione offered him.
'I don't know! Walk outside.' Hermione said.
'You want me to walk all the floors down with a spider so I can set it free outside?' Draco asked, turning to look at her after placing the glass over the spider.
'It sounds weird when you say it like that.' Hermione mumbled.
'You really want me to walk down?' Draco asked.
'Well, otherwise it'll still be in the castle.'
'And you think it'll come back here when I set it free in the corridor?'
'I don't know what's going through its mind!' Hermione said, staring down at the big spider that tried to escape from the glass cage he was trapped in.
'I'll set it free on the sixth floor, okay?' Draco said, taking a piece of paper and scooting the glass over it along with the spider before picking it up and walking out of the common room. Hermione looked around the common room, in search of a possible family member of the spider, but she didn't find any. Hermione placed the chair back just as Draco walked back into the common room. 'It's free.' he informed her.
'Thanks.'
'Do you need me for something else?' he asked.'
Hermione shook her head. 'No, not at the moment.
'Miss Granger, Miss Weasley wants to talk to you, do you want me to let her in or are you coming out into the hallway?' Snape asked, appearing in the portrait that hung in the common room.
'What? I'll come.' Hermione said. 'I'll be right back.' she said, turning to Draco before exiting the common room.
'Hi Gin, what are you doing here?' she asked, seeing Ginny stand a few feet away from the portrait opening.
'So? Did something happen?' Ginny smirked.
'You came all the way here just to ask whether something has happened yes or no?'
'Well yes, and I was bored.' Ginny grinned.
'Well after breakfast I sat in one of the armchairs and then I saw a spider.' Hermione told her.
'Okay?' Ginny said.
'And I tried to catch it but then Draco came in and helped me get rid of it.'
'Exciting.'
'I didn't tell you something exciting had happened, you just asked if something had happened.' Hermione stated.
'You know what I meant, so did something happen yesterday in Hogsmeade? Or when you got back here?' Ginny asked.
'No.' Hermione answered.
'Come on, we're best friends, you can tell me everything!' Ginny said.
'Ssssh Gin, he can hear you like this.' Hermione hissed.
'Sorry.' Ginny chuckled.
'Are you even trying to make something happen?' Ginny asked.
'Nothing is going to happen, Gin.' Hermione sighed.
'That's bullshit. Nothing's going to happen when you push yourself away, but that's something you're not going to do, because you like him and he likes you.' Ginny said.
'You don't know that for sure.'
'Do you want me to help?'
'No.' Hermione told her sternly. 'Just let it be as it is. He would never like someone like me. I mean first of all, he's a Slytherin and second of all a pure blood, remember? His family in particular don't want anything to do with muggleborns, like me.'
'So you do want to be with him!' Ginny grinned.
'I didn't even say that!'
'It wasn't necessary.' Ginny shrugged. 'He liked you, trust me. Do you want me to ask him?'
'No! Don't you need to be with Harry or something?'
'Nah, he and Ron are playing chess.' Ginny shrugged. 'But I've got the feeling I overstayed my welcome. Have fun with Malfoy in there and I'll see you during lunch.' Ginny grinned, turning around. 'Or perhaps not.' she said, turning to look at Hermione and wiggling her eyebrows before winking and walking off. Hermione rolled her eyes and walked back into the common room. Draco looked up at her, a smirk plastered on his face.
'What?' she asked.
'Oh nothing.' Draco smirked.
'Right.' Hermione muttered.